Scours...

Help Support CattleToday:

bizybeehill

Reaction score
I know this subject comes oup often but my question is this.

I have two heifers new to the farm. Thsy are Angus/Herfords cross weigh approximatly 350#. They are eating, drinking, playing with the dog and other calves. We have had them for about 5 weeks now and they are still as loose as pea soup. At what point do I become concerned and what suggestions do you all have.

Thanks,

Barry

Now. Keep them hydrated and go see your vet. I usually treat mine with SMZ boluses. He or she may have another treatment. They need temp taken and checked out. Give them some Probios and good luck.

350 pounds and scoured? Whoa...are they on some new, fresh green grass? If they are, I'd take them off the grass and put them on some dry feed...and call the vet as a precaution.

Alice

since it was brought up, I have one heifer with the same problem. We have two new steers, they are fine but along with the hiefer our other two steers have loose stools. I noticed this morning he was going, but only a small amount of blood trickled out. I am calling the vet tomarrow and taking in a fecal for our heifer and steer. I do think partly is change in hay, we are mixing better hay in with our old hay. Any other suggestions? they are all eating well.

Probably just picking a lot of fall grass. More dry feed and good hay will likely do the trick. If they seem to feel good and are eating good I wouldn't worry too much about it.

bizybeehill":1t6xic6b said:
I have two heifers new to the farm. Thsy are Angus/Herfords cross weigh approximatly 350#. They are eating, drinking, playing with the dog and other calves. We have had them for about 5 weeks now and they are still as loose as pea soup. At what point do I become concerned and what suggestions do you all have.

Thanks,

Barry

If their ration includes a lot of grain, you might think about cutting it back a bit. If they are on on grass, you might think about putting out some grass hay for them. As long as they are eating, drinking, looking and acting lively - I wouldn't worry about it too much.

might be Coccidosis (sp?)
we've treated by medicating the water trough for a week or so.
Can be caused by stress or change in feed or whatever.

More info - coccidiosis is a parasitic pretty common here in Montana - don't know how they get it or where it comes from but calves just weaned are particularily prone to it - treat with amprolium - it's liquid and you just add it to thier water trough.

Latest posts