Scour Remedy

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
:idea: Here's an Old Time Scour Cure that a fellow cowman had posted on a Canadian site.

1.5 Litres (just over a Quart) Warm Water
2 TBSP Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Salt
1 Raw Egg
1 TBSP Javex Bleach
Mix well and administer by tubing.
Here's how it apparently works:
The sugar, salt, water mixture is the equivalent of electrolytes (keeps the calf from dehydrating and provides energy).
The egg coats the stomach wall (and possibly provides some protein).
The bleach kills the scours bacteria.

Now I haven't tried it myself yet, as I haven't had a case of scours here this year, but it's early for our area so I'm sure that I'll be dealing with it in another week or two.
BUT from what I do understand, one fellow responded to the original posting of this "recipe" with pretty glowing reports.
Apparently, he had a 'down & outer' calf (prone, sunken eyes, etc) that he had used all the modern drugs and goodies on(and had gotten little to show for the money and time spent on them), and he came across the recipe and decided "what the heck"(figured the calf would be dead in the morning anyway), dosed the calf and to his delight the calf was up and sucking vigorously the next a.m.
Anyway, thought I'd stick it here and at least it might provide an alternative for those who want to give it a go. I know I'm going to.
Best wishes from Canada.

Latest posts