Scottish Highland Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dapsie

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here, is it possible that anybody knows the body length or crown rump length of a newborn calf, or one in the last trimester. I have searched the internet and can get all information for just about every breed of cow, but nothing on highlands. We have highlands but trying to hold them for a measurement when mum comes running not easy!!

:welcome:
Sounds like you want to get a weight??? A weigh tape goes around their middle body (naval area), but I don't "think" a regular weigh tape will be accurate for your breed. They also have foot tapes for weight.
Maybe we are off base. Is there another reason?

Isn't there a registry or web page for Highlands? Try that first. Most scottish highland calves that I have seen, and a friend used to have a few, would vary according to if they were from heifers or cows, but anywhere from 35 to 60 lbs.... don't have any idea of length measurements

Sorry, thanks for replies, what I need is the crown to rump length of calf when it is born, or before. We have been accused of slaughtering a heifer in her last third gestation, there is no evidence and we know we did not, so to go to court I need to show a measurement if possible. The measurement they have given is 92cms. Have not found anything on internet for highlands, but for many other breeds, mostly Holstein.

dapsie said:
Sorry, thanks for replies, what I need is the crown to rump length of calf when it is born, or before. We have been accused of slaughtering a heifer in her last third gestation, there is no evidence and we know we did not, so to go to court I need to show a measurement if possible. The measurement they have given is 92cms. Have not found anything on internet for highlands, but for many other breeds, mostly Holstein.

Now I'm interested in hearing the whole story on this.

dapsie said:

Why does it matter if she was in the third trimester?

Some countries such as the Netherlands prohibit slaughtering cows in late gestation. Perhaps the OP lives in one of those countries. New Jersey had a bill put together earlier this year to prohibit the slaughter of any pregnant cow. Not sure if it passed.

interesting problem, hope you can keep us updated about this. perhaps contact a veterinary school, they might be able to steer you to some answers. I would think some other developmental signs would be a more accurate way of determining gestational age than body length. that seems to have more potential variation.

What you say does not make sense. If she went to slaughter, you can't measure her NOW. If she went to slaughter and they indeed slaughtered her, they would have a fetus - pretty undeniable.
Are you saying they still have the fetus (or pictures) and you are trying to prove it isn't as OLD/gestation age, as they are saying?

This thread just got interesting. I know a few people who produced baby beef used to let the heifers get in calf a few months before slaughter because they said it made the heifer marble better. I never noticed any difference.

So, I live in Germany and it is illegal to slaughter in the last third trimester. Without too much detail, in a waste container was a baby calf discovered at the end of day. The controlling vet has stated it was our animal, the crown rump length was 92cms (36 1/4 inches) That was all, no pictures, no details. So, a Holstein has an average of 85 / 90cms (33half to 35half inches) at birth (DEFRA UK Government), but also a German Holstein (fetus) can have 92cms (36 quarter inches) in the 10th month, obviously about to be born.
I have much information on other breeds, just not a Highland. Spoke with a breeder in Scotland, very helpful, but they don't measure crl. But she has a 1 month old calf and she measured for me and it was 100 cms (39 half inches). Another guy in Scotland is waiting on three babies, he said he will try to get a measurement for me when they are born. Tried the Highland Cattle Society in UK but they wouldn't help. Sorry it's a bit long, but that's the jist of it.

I'm no help here but to compare I would expect that over 50% of the cows slaughtered here will have e calf inside.
How can you be sure they are not bred before slaughter? Keep them an extra 9 months after they really need culled?

I have never heard of measuring the crown rump length. Interesting. Is this a measurement they use on live animals? Like we measure height for frame size - or circumference at the naval for a weight.

kenny thomas said:
I'm no help here but to compare I would expect that over 50% of the cows slaughtered here will have e calf inside.
How can you be sure they are not bred before slaughter? Keep them an extra 9 months after they really need culled?

That's what I would think too, unless you pregnancy checked all cull cows before selling them there is just no way to know something like that. Seems like an example of an overly burdensome law.

Latest posts