School shop made culvert roller packer

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":21rsx3x3 said:
nice... bball they sell a ton here from 200-800 at farm sales depending on the size and shape...

Rub it in sky, rub it in! :lol2: I may have to plan a road trip then!

M.Magis":2xrgqq7o said:
Does it pull true or does it want to track one direction? I thought having both culverts in the same direction would make it pull, but I was just guessing. Would be easy to flip one if it was a problem, was just curious. Looks nice.

I was worried about that as well, so when I made the end caps for it I made them an inch longer all the way around so they would dig in a little to keep it straight. I also thought about flipping on so it was going in the opposite direction, for whatever reason couldn't get it to work out unless they were one in front of the other. The end caps having a 2" larger diameter made it so it definitely makes it pull straight though.

skyhightree1":10pb4586 said:
nice... bball they sell a ton here from 200-800 at farm sales depending on the size and shape...

I second the road trip! I've been keeping an eye out around here for one and also can't find anything decent for less than a grand. I've just about talked myself into building one after hay season is done.

I have not, I see those type at auction all the time and they bring a perty penny. we had one yrs ago with the cast iron wheels and It made a perfect pasture after sprigging Bermuda. These look just like the old ones. they claim a 5yr warranty and I have no idea of the cost I just see them on craigslist

I seen a homemade cultipacker made out of black plastic culvert pipe with a sch 40 2 inch pipe in the middle of the pipe with concrete in it was pretty nice

bball":1syttjhf said:
How much would you say you have invested in materials? I can't find a decent cultipacker around these parts for under a grand, and like you, just can't justify that expense for as infrequently as it would be used. Nice work.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. The last one I drug home from a fence row cost a whopping fifty bucks. Bearings were even good. I think there might even be one in the neighbors woods.....I'll go have a look.

Farm Fence Solutions":22xadexv said:
bball":22xadexv said:
How much would you say you have invested in materials? I can't find a decent cultipacker around these parts for under a grand, and like you, just can't justify that expense for as infrequently as it would be used. Nice work.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. The last one I drug home from a fence row cost a whopping fifty bucks. Bearings were even good. I think there might even be one in the neighbors woods.....I'll go have a look.

If you find any like Aaron was talking about.. that make rocks disappear.
I'll take two.

callmefence":163rvqjr said:
Farm Fence Solutions":163rvqjr said:
bball":163rvqjr said:

If you find any like Aaron was talking about.. that make rocks disappear.
I'll take two.
Ours is about a 40" diameter, and is 3/4" wall.. just the pipe is a ton, plus end caps (1/2" plate), plus shaft, frame, and then it can hold about 500 gal of water too.. it'll push a 6" rock right down, and if it fails, it'll just crush it in most cases.. I keep meaning to get a picture of it!

Nesikep":79ofogue said:
Finally got a picture of ours

Lots that size around here and longer. Can be a challenge getting them down roads. Last one I bid on was $2800 and I was out. Probably should have kept going as it had oak wood block bearings.

That "dinky" looking little shaft through it.. yeah, that's a 2 1/2" shaft on pillow blocks. That will crush the rock that refuses to get pressed down,

Have any of you ever seen the packers that use tires instead of cast wheels ? There are lots of pictures of them in Australia and all over the UK . I have wanted to build one for a while but can't decide what the tires ride on.

I have one that I built and tow it behind my little seeder. I used 2 old rims on each end with 4x50mm pipe going across from side to side welded onto one rim and the other rim has 40mm pipe welded to it so it telescopes into the 50mm pipe and also a couple of lengths of threaded rod through 2 of the pipes to hold it all together. Needless to say the tires are threaded over the pipe and there are stub axles on each end for the whole lot to revolve on the tow frame. By having it this way there is a lot of movement of the pipe within the tire so each individual tire can move up and down independent of the next tire and so follow any irregularity of the ground. Sounds complicated but it is really simple, I have used it regularly over about 12 years and it has held together well. I don't know how other people make them I did not have one to copy and just made it up as I went but am happy how it turned out. I just made mine out of car tires and it works well for firming down the seed after planting, I know someone who used heavier truck tires.

If I think of it I'll get some photos tomorrow, I'll be hooking it up behind the seeder to plant some cowpea, it is not pretty but does the job.

Ken

Aaron":13kr11eg said:
Nesikep":13kr11eg said:

Lots that size around here and longer. Can be a challenge getting them down roads. Last one I bid on was $2800 and I was out. Probably should have kept going as it had oak wood block bearings.

What thickness of steel y'all think to make one off these. I've got several old diesel 500 gallon tanks. But there only 12 to 14 gauge . Im worried I'll end up with a hole in it.

callmefence":330chip3 said:
Aaron":330chip3 said:
Nesikep":330chip3 said:

What thickness of steel y'all think to make one off these. I've got several old diesel 500 gallon tanks. But there only 12 to 14 gauge . Im worried I'll end up with a hole in it.

Nothing less than 5/8", preferably 3/4". Nothing less because a big rock can put a dent in a loaded 1/2" drum. If you have zero rock, you can make them pretty light wall, provided they are loaded with water or concrete.

Looks like the class did a nice job on the project, glad it's working for you. My roller is like Nesikep's for the same reasons he mentioned.
My concern for your roller is I know how those culverts like to come apart at the seams after they have been handled a lot. Hopefully is stays together for you.

Latest posts