School bus takes 60 mile detour

Help Support CattleToday:

Tegerian

Reaction score
School bus takes 60 mile detour
Other news, World | August 21, 2007

KISSIMMEE, Fla., Aug. 21 (UPI) — An Osceola County, Fla., elementary school bus driver got lost on a new route and ended up taking a 60 mile detour.

A representative from Osceola County Public Schools said the female driver, who was not named, tried to avoid traffic and got lost, ending up 60 miles away in Brevard County, WKMG-TV, Orlando, reported Tuesday.

Some parents said their children were frightened during the drive.

He was shaking and crying that he wanted his mother, Tisha Budreau said of her 6-year-old son.

Children on the bus said the driver cursed and shouted at the passengers during the drive.

We kept on telling her that she kept missing stops and everybody said to stop and she just started screaming at us, student Lexis Simpson said. It is not the best day of school I've ever had.

The district is investigating allegations the driver swore at the children. Meanwhile, the representative said, a second driver was assigned to the bus Tuesday to ensure the drive goes as planned.

I can understand getting lost, but 60 miles is a bit much for anyone that's entrusted with kids, don't ya think?

60 miles! Wow. I hope they did a blood test on her. And I thought it was only men who were guilty of this. :lol:

gotta wonder if they have radios in the bus and why the school hadn't called the bus company about missing kids.
Swearing on a bus would get a person canned and a student suspended here.

IMO all school buses need to have an extra adult (monitor) on board and evidently a MAP !

In Manitoba,Canada all busses are required to have maps and each spare driver gets a pack with all the route maps for his area.
Bus monitors would be nice. But in our division the bus monitors are the older responsible high school students who know when to keep the younger in line

When I worked in the MHMR setting, I heard that the bus drivers weren't issued cell phones or 2-way radios (even on "off campus trips") because "Administration" felt they cost too much...go figure!

I also guess that most school bus drivers' qualifications are basically. 1. CDL License. 2. Alive.

JMO (no facts to back it up...lol).

The bus company that serves our school district has their drivers radio in every time they stop. They say where they are, how many are getting on or off, and give the total head count each time. They also don't put off the extremely little ones unless someone is waiting for them.

School bus drivers in Manitoba require 24 hours of class time. Many many hours of driver training, and written exam, and when doing the driving test becasue the licence is a different class than a standard licence, there is the pre trip test and the road test. You have to pass the pre trip before you can take the road. You are also required 8 hours of inservice each year. First aid + CPR is not required but the division does first aid every few years for the drivers.
Pre trip is not just check the oil but, lights, tires, exhaust leaks, drive train, seats, emergency exits, battery connection, engine leaks, fan belts and more. This is done every day and logged in as well.
Little ones are let off only with a reponsible adut visible to pic them up, radios for emergencies.

It's more than just driving and P/U and drop off of students. And not for the faint of heart.

Latest posts