Scales

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I am trying to find a way to weight my cows. I have a Priefert squeeze chute and I called Priefert today to talk to them about some scales and he said he would email me some information, but he did not come through. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance, Phil

If you can justify buying them go for it scales are really handy. I back ground several head. You can spot check a determine progress. My buyer wants them at750 - 775. I could never guess that close.

Hoss told me he bought a set from BB and likes them. That is something I want to do this year, been borrowing a set.

I have a Trutest aluminum platform scale in my alley just before the chute. With a simple EZ Weigh indicator this is a very simple cost effective system. . I just dug out a bit of the corral gravel on each end of the scale and put in a couple treated boards level for the load bar feet to sit on. This is a lot less expensive than trying to put scales on a chute. You will be amazed at what you can learn with a scale and weighing your cattle maybe once a month. Good luck.

Jim

SRBeef":32sitlb9 said:
I have a Trutest aluminum platform scale in my alley just before the chute. With a simple EZ Weigh indicator this is a very simple cost effective system. . I just dug out a bit of the corral gravel on each end of the scale and put in a couple treated boards level for the load bar feet to sit on. This is a lot less expensive than trying to put scales on a chute. You will be amazed at what you can learn with a scale and weighing your cattle maybe once a month. Good luck.

Jim
Do you have any problems getting one to stay on the platform? Or do you have a gate there? I thought about doing mine behind the chute, that is where I put the ones I borrow. Only problem I really have is they step off the side of the platform, found a company that makes a wide flat platform that might work better here.

We bought a set of B&B scales and installed them under our chute about 2 months ago. It's amazing the information you get when you're not guessing on weaning weights or weights for wormer, etc. It's still too early to guess their payback, but gathering the information to see who is working the hardest will be valuable over the next few years.

Our biggest issue was that we have an XL chute that is wider than a standard chute, so we had to find a wider beam to fit under the scales.

As Tom said I bought a set of B&B scales and so far have been very happy with them. I think scales have been the best purchase that I have made next to working pens and chute. I poured a slab of concrete to set my squeeze chute on and installed the scales under the chute. I can weigh, worm, tag, A.I., vaccinate etc. all at the same time if need be. It sure has come in handy getting weaning weights and double checking the sale barns numbers. I also use it when I sell off the farm as I sometimes sell by the pound. I don't have a huge herd so I don'y need the extra heavy duty scales. I bought the standard set-up and so far I have had no issues. B&B customer service is also pretty good as you get to talk to the engineers directly and not some guy in a cubicle 500 miles away from the factory.

tom4018":3jyq16at said:
SRBeef":3jyq16at said:

Jim
Do you have any problems getting one to stay on the platform? Or do you have a gate there? I thought about doing mine behind the chute, that is where I put the ones I borrow. Only problem I really have is they step off the side of the platform, found a company that makes a wide flat platform that might work better here.

My trutest scale platform just fits nicely inside the standard Fomost alley section between my tub and chute. They can't step off of it.

One thing that really helps is that I cut a strip out of an old rubber 8 ft pickup bed mat about 3' x 8' and lay it on the tru test aluminum platform. It is not shiny in the sun and also keeps manure from getting down through the holes in the scale platform. I leave the platform out all winter just take the indicator in and out.

Here's a picture that sort of shows the sliding solid gates on either end of the 8 ft alley section with 7 ft scale. You can see the wires and bracket to hold the indicator.

IMG_3203_heifer3andcalf3Ysupperinthechute.jpg

The scale platform is under the alley partially visible on the left of the photo. This a calf that couldn't stand and had a splint for a couple days being introduced to where to find dinner on his heifer dam. They took it from here after this introduction.

Jim

tom4018":17unb079 said:
Thanks Jim.

You are welcome Tom. your question prompted me to take some pictures today which show the alley and scale location better. I put it in a separate thread I assume you have seen. The thing about cattle scales is that weighing cattle is different than weighing a pallet of laundry soap etc.

Cattle come on a scale, stop, move around, etc. I would stick with a scale system that is designed for cattle.

Jim

HOSS":3gcmikid said:
As Tom said I bought a set of B&B scales and so far have been very happy with them. I think scales have been the best purchase that I have made next to working pens and chute. I poured a slab of concrete to set my squeeze chute on and installed the scales under the chute. I can weigh, worm, tag, A.I., vaccinate etc. all at the same time if need be. It sure has come in handy getting weaning weights and double checking the sale barns numbers. I also use it when I sell off the farm as I sometimes sell by the pound. I don't have a huge herd so I don'y need the extra heavy duty scales. I bought the standard set-up and so far I have had no issues. B&B customer service is also pretty good as you get to talk to the engineers directly and not some guy in a cubicle 500 miles away from the factory.

SRBeef":3gcmikid said:
I have a Trutest aluminum platform scale in my alley just before the chute. With a simple EZ Weigh indicator this is a very simple cost effective system. . I just dug out a bit of the corral gravel on each end of the scale and put in a couple treated boards level for the load bar feet to sit on. This is a lot less expensive than trying to put scales on a chute. You will be amazed at what you can learn with a scale and weighing your cattle maybe once a month. Good luck. Jim

I just got in and checked the forum and wanted to say thanks everyone for your response. Jim, is there any more information you can give me on the cost of the scales and all the material?

Hoss, the same question as Jim. Also, does the whole squeeze shoot actually sit on the scales? Here are some pictures of what I'm working with -

Thanks again,
Phil

price on a tru test platform and ez weigh indicator varies all over the map. I bought mine as a demo at a farm show. I suggest you contact a for most dealer and ask if he has any used platform scales around. Good luck. Jim

Latest posts