Tru Test scales

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We were trying to get the scales that were installed under the squeeze chute to work today and couldn't- :mad: It's Tru Test brand that was bought at co-op but I didn't install them someone else did. They appear to be installed correctly. Every time we would zero them out they would weigh me right at 35 lbs. and I weigh around 190-195. Just not sure what the problem is.

Anyone have these scales? They are load bar scales under the chute.

This is what we have:

http://www.priefert.com/ProductDetails/ ... 5/mp600ez5

TennesseeTuxedo":w0qnjhhv said:
Do you have the instruction manual?

Yes, but we didn't install it so we're not sure if it was done exactly right. Actually the link is not the exact thing we have. The squeeze chute sets on the load bars and they don't have rubber feet, they're bolted right into the concrete pad. Then the squeeze chute sits on top of the load bars and is bolted onto the load bars with U bolts.

ok stupid questions

Is there a small stone etc in the way?

Is the units on the scale set correctly?

These are actually the exact load bars we have under the squeeze chute.

http://www.algen.com/images/TruTest-HD850.jpg

When we tighten or loosen the bolts you can see at the end and on the sides of the load bars you can see it changing the weight on the digital readout. It will always zero out but only weighs me at 35 lbs. and I should be around 190-195 lbs. It's on a level concrete pad and seems to setting evenly on the bars etc. Sure wish we could get it right so we could weigh all the calves when we implant them and be able to see how they gain from until weaning. :frowns:

My first step would be gettign a hold of whoever did the install and having them get it right!

Okay we're probably not going to get them fixed by early tomorrow morning when want to weigh calves. We do have another scale that fits into the alley way--the portable kind. We have two different working areas, one has a concrete pad for the portable scales the other doesn't. The one that doesn't has a good flat space where the scales would sit. Is there any chance to lay down concrete cinder blocks evenly and make that work by setting the scales on them? It's the flat style blocks I'm talking about.

are you pushing gross weight then zero recheck? check for debris under platform. check cables for cuts or cracks or flattened area. check connections of cables & power source.disconnect one load cell then stand of other cell should weigh twice your weight, then try other load cell. each should weigh you about the same, if not it could be a load cell. try plugging each load cell line in the other hole on monitor, if they work on one hole & not the other it could be the monitor. good luck

Cabo":3lokpwz1 said:
Get you a 6" X 6" X 8' treated timber, cut it in half, level it and you should be fixed.

Where am I going to get that on Sunday afternoon? We have to be set up by tomorrow morning early. The blocks I put the link to are only a $1.08 a piece.

I had a very similar problem with the load bars on a scale I borrowed......long story short.....if the load is not exactly level you will get bad readings.....we had to shim the bars and kept going back and forth between me being weighed until it was right (we had an accurate bath room scale to check).....get several people to get their weights on the bathroom scale then when it's right for your weight get several people in the chute to see if it remains correct at higher weights......it worked for us.

TennesseeTuxedo":34cfc06k said:
How'd the weigh-in go today?

Got 40 calves weighed, tagged and implanted. Tagged & wormed about 30 cows, took 17 heavier calves to the sale barn. Still got around 65 calves to go and tag & worm 140-150 cows. We're in damage control right now with this herd, they were really neglected over the last 2-3 years. There will be some serious culling coming up.

Latest posts