Scales?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
For those that have a set of scales do you have them in the alley or under your chute?

What is the good and bad of both?

Here when we use scales we use a portable scale that is set after the sqyeeze so the aniaml has gone through the chute before we get a weight. The only draw back to that is see is space and if you need a weight for medication/wormwer/etc. you don;t know the weight before you give it so you end up guessing.
Now to the question. I've used both and ther main drawback I see to the chute mounted scales is that junk accumulates under the scale and can cause accuracy problems. Because of the awkwardness of dunging out under the squeeze the loadbar area isn;t kept as clean as it should be. There is another drawback and thats typically the loadbars for a chute mounted scale are pricier then the ones for lighter weights. The drawback I see to the alley mointed ones is that the animal is harder to get on the scale pan without it ushing against one end or the other of the pan area and screwing up the readings. It can also be slower to get a reading and for the scale to lock in if aniaml is jum;ping around alot, in the chute mounted scales, ones they're head caught they settle down.

dun

We use a rented scale. So for us it is just a platform on top of the load bars with a gate in front of it and it is in the alley. We chase them up the alley, and then whoever is bringing them up just stands behind them, close enough to keep them from backing off and far enough so they don't get worked up. For the most part our calves are quiet enough that once we get them on it they stand fairly well. But this doesn't work very well for wilder cattle.

We're like dun -- we have the scales after the chute. We use a pour on wormer so it's not too inconvenient. As for injectable, we weigh our mature cows 2x per year and weigh our calves and yearling bulls and heifers more often -- mostly to calculate ADG and and get an idea about our feed efficiency. We are looking at installing a digital scale within the chute.

We have an old fashioned Paul scales under our chute. Biggest problem (which isn't bad) is that the cattle have to step up about 6" and they sometimes balk at that.
When we managed a big farm, the scale was before the work chute, which worked out well, but it was easy with the extra labor at the big farm. Here, with just the two of us, our set up is least labor.

Our local cattle org provides the scales - 10 bucks a year to join and one free weighing - I am the scale man. You want us to show up again you pay a couple bucks a head.

We back it up to the front of your squeeze and run them through.

Pretty much volunteer labour.

It is a small org and we usually only weigh about 10 places a year - I keep the scale in the shop and use it at will.

It also allows me to see how other folks operate and how their cattle are doing - plus free lunch!!!!!!

We are just a bunch of good old boys.

It is an old balance beam rig - but the price is right!

Bez>

Our old set of scales won't fit under the chute. We've got it in a seperate pen, though that pen is attached to our corrals.

We have scales under the squeeze chute... need to fix the headgate however so now I have no scales for a while.. As longa s you keep it clean it works okay... Ours is on wheels so we can jack it up and move it out to clean it if we need too..

We have a set of Tru-test mounted in the alley of the chute. The way our set up is, we don't have to run the cattle through the squeeze chute to get a weight. We can turn them straight out to pasture or send them through the squeeze. This saves a little time when weighing calves and cows at weaning time. However I used the ones under the chute when I worked for Riverbend Ranch and they work great as well, but you have to run each animal through the squeeze. It helped that we were using a hydraulic squeeze. So they both have advantages and disadvantages just depends on what your needs are.

Howdy,
Tru-Test 700 scale with HD1010 load bars under a seperate weigh box (slider doors on each end) after the alley, and before the preg-check and chute.

I stop them here before entering the chute, I record them on paper, and with the scale. I then of course have my proper weights for pour-on, weaning weights, ADG, mature dam etc..

I have mine so that i can set them up in any ally. We move the scales and chute around.

ours are in one of the alleys between pens and were manufactured by Cardinal Scales, they have are 60 or 70,000lb capacity. Depending upon the size of animal being weighed we can put any where from 1 animal to 25 or 30 calves per draft. Cement floor and gates at each end make it easy to work large numbers in a hurry.

Latest posts