SAV Bruiser

Help Support CattleToday:

Noticed that too. Must have taken him off the hot feed

Pics of a few of the cows that I ai'ed to the ABS Hereford bull, Ribeye:

So far 7/10 bred to Ribeye have calved, with 4 bulls and 3 heifers. These calves have been much larger than the Bruiser calves. I'd estimate that they'll average 85-95 lbs. No calving problems, and they've been nice hardy calves. I hope that the ai took on at least 2 of the others.

Sorry that the pic quality sucks. I guess that I'll have to start using photobucket again.

We did the 7 day tai for the cows. I'm pleased with the conception for the cows but not too happy for the heifers. The due date is tomorrow and we have 2 more heifers that look close. If they do calf with black calves (I used a Hereford for cleanup) 9 of the 15 heifers took.

This will prob be the last ai calf of this group. 110 lb ribeye heifer. Big girl.

Wow - 110 lbs. Was that a bruiser calf out of a ribeye heifer or was it just a ribeye heifer and bruiser had nothing to do with it?

angus9259":3v6tya8q said:
Wow - 110 lbs. Was that a bruiser calf out of a ribeye heifer or was it just a ribeye heifer and bruiser had nothing to do with it?
Ribeye calf. I didn't weigh any of the Bruiser calves but they all looked to be in the 70-75 lb range

I am getting ready to AI 240 heifers this fall. I have been on the fence about using Bruiser but after joining this forum and reading the replys I think I will go all in on him. I really like Absolute but my biggest concern with him is I have felt like he doesn't settle heifers very good. Anyone else had that feeling using him?

The last few seasons I've asked about absolute, but he always is on back order. So either he isn't producing enough or people have really liked his calves.

CX2":1jm5e82f said:
I am getting ready to AI 240 heifers this fall. I have been on the fence about using Bruiser but after joining this forum and reading the replys I think I will go all in on him. I really like Absolute but my biggest concern with him is I have felt like he doesn't settle heifers very good. Anyone else had that feeling using him?

Let us know what you decide. I bought Absolute and Bruiser for next year. Not sure yet if I might hold one for the following year? I have far fewer than you do.

TTR. I will keep you updated. I am going to use Bruiser this year and I wil update conception rate when we ultra sound. Breeding date is mid December.

CX2":2kx8s3eu said:
TTR. I will keep you updated. I am going to use Bruiser this year and I wil update conception rate when we ultra sound. Breeding date is mid December.

Excellent. Thank you!

Bred all the fall calvers and replacements to bruiser again. I looked around for other sires to try but his calves have been impressive so far and none of the other sire's epds seemed as well rounded..

1st Bruiser spring calf out of a smoke heifer that I really like. Heifer calf probably 65-70 lbs.

Anyone have any yearling pictures of Bruiser calves? Seems like he could be a pretty good outcross to make UBs.

Dsteim":2hbip0th said:
Anyone have any yearling pictures of Bruiser calves? Seems like he could be a pretty good outcross to make UBs.

I believe I took these picks back in Dec of a couple commercial replacements that I'm keeping sired by Bruiser. I have several fall calves by him too. I've been pretty pleased with him and will probably use him again this spring.

Latest posts