SAV Bruiser

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
Anybody have pics of Bruiser daughters?

Are they turning out to be good cows?

How is their docility?

Here's a yearling heifer I kept out of him. Docility is about average. Very big middled cattle. She is out of one of my best cows. I have big hopes for her.

I like her

Thanks for posting the pic. I'm hoping for nice moderate framed heifers and steers that will still put on the pounds in a lower input environment.

Thanks. And they definitely are moderate. But still competitive as feeder calves. I weighed my calves last spring in June, and again in October at weaning. I compared their ADG from birth to June, and then June to October. I started creep feeding in June. It was interesting my Bruiser calves barely made a jump in ADG after I started creep feeding, while some of my big framed terminal calves jumped as much as .5-.7. ADG. That told me that the Bruiser calves were able to perform closer to their peak potential without the extra inputs.

kentuckyguy said:
I like her

Thanks for posting the pic. I'm hoping for nice moderate framed heifers and steers that will still put on the pounds in a lower input environment.

I would take a close look at International, he is definitely a steer maker.

Bovine breeder said:
Thanks. And they definitely are moderate. But still competitive as feeder calves. I weighed my calves last spring in June, and again in October at weaning. I compared their ADG from birth to June, and then June to October. I started creep feeding in June. It was interesting my Bruiser calves barely made a jump in ADG after I started creep feeding, while some of my big framed terminal calves jumped as much as .5-.7. ADG. That told me that the Bruiser calves were able to perform closer to their peak potential without the extra inputs.

Which makes me think that the Circle A feeding data is a pretty good performance metric.

I have several Bruiser daughters in production. This is a first timer with a calf sired by a Hereford bull. They have made good cows so far. They hold condition well, no docility issues, and good enough milk production ( which was my main concern with Bruiser).

I've thought about using him in my program but I would like to see what he looks like as a mature bull and I can't find any pictures of him besides his yearlying photo. Interesting that they didn't gain a whole lot more on feed vs no feed.

Lazy M said:

I have several Bruiser daughters in production. This is a first timer with a calf sired by a Hereford bull. They have made good cows so far. They hold condition well, no docility issues, and good enough milk production ( which was my main concern with Bruiser).

That was also one of my concerns. I don't want milk cows that require more inputs than I'm able to provide.

I keep hearing from guys who have used him that they didn't have docility issues.

The daughters off quiet cows are good, the ones off cows that are heads up seem to be worse yet than their cows. I have a couple that will try to kill you and shove their calves around bawling the whole time. I had to throw a bale feeder over a calf (with the tractor) to keep one from killing her calf.

I have bruiser daughters out of mainly All In sired cows. I am about to breed them. So far they look really good.

We have had no docility issues. They are efficient little momma's in our herd. They are stout but very moderate in frame. I'd say he could moderate frame for you if that was your aim.

Latest posts