Saskatchewan,s very own breed

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Speckle Park cattle

speckle.jpg

Comments

El_Putzo":33tbkltm said:
Ok, I'll bite. What kind of mix is that? Pretty good looking animal by my standards.

A little history
In 1959, when Eileen and Bill Lamont of Maidstone, Saskatchewan, bought their first speckled heifer from Mary Lindsay of Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, they didn't realize the 'wheels they had set in motion'. The Lamonts were breeders of Appaloosa horses and Angus cattle and thought the cattle would go well with their herds.

Mary Lindsay had spotted a red roan heifer in her fathers herd a few years before and because she was interested in unusual colors she bought the heifer. Regardless of the herd sire she bred the cow to it always produced calves with that color pattern. It is believed that the heifer was a descendent of a Teeswater Shorthorn which had been bred to a White Park bull.

The Lamonts crossed their speckled cows with Black Angus bulls . The resulting offspring came in a variety of color patterns, some white with black points, some leopard colored and some black sided with speckled hips, white top and underline and roan faces. The Lamonts grew very interested and decided to attempt to develop a new breed.

Interest in the cattle grew, not only with cattlemen but also the press. They were featured in Case International Publications under a section on "Minority Breeds in Canada". Lloyd Pickard, a cattle promoter, included a section on the cattle in his book "100 Years of Angus in Canada".

The Lamonts chose the name Speckle Park for their cattle. In 1985 Speckle Park breeders representing nine different herds met to form The Speckle Park Breeders Association, later renamed The Canadian Speckle Park Association.

The aim was to breed and develop a middle of the road, medium sized, polled, good beef animal. Thus was born a phrase often attached to the breed "A Balanced Breed with A Color Bonus".

It was a giant step forward in 1993, when Agriculture Canada granted approval for the Incorporation of Speckle Park Cattle as an evolving breed. On Feb. 14, 1995, ministerial approval was granted for the Canadian Speckle Park Association's first set of by-laws.

The color pattern is unlike that of any other breed. The breed originated in Saskatchewan, Canada which makes them the first and only breed to be developed in Saskatchewan

http://www.specklepark.ca/

http://www.speckleparkoriginal.com/

Thanks Frenchie,

It isn't too often that I come across a breed that I've never heard about before. Very interesting. The bull in the photo looks like a meat wagon.

Does anybody know where I can find some Speckled Park hiefer calves? Thanks

hybrib":3nh6ur1g said:
Does anybody know where I can find some Speckled Park hiefer calves? Thanks

Can't say as I know where you'd find 'em in Kentucky, but get in touch with some of the folks on those Speckle Park websites, and I'm sure they'll know more than me. ;-) :cboy:

I like their looks-I read about them awhile back when I was just looking around some sites at different breeds. I would think that by now someone here in the U.S. would have them.

All you have to do is get your government to open the border to breeding cattle and I can help you out. I have 8 bred cows and heifers and 2 heifer calves for sale, my entire herd of speckles.

seth":3r22nfr2 said:
All you have to do is get your government to open the border to breeding cattle and I can help you out. I have 8 bred cows and heifers and 2 heifer calves for sale, my entire herd of speckles.

Why are you selling them? And how are they priced. I may be interested If I was near you. I am in Central Sask.

Really! You may be interested! A couple of months ago you said you couldn't afford an Angus bred heifer.

Anyway we want to concentrate on our purebred Angus herd. The speckles have been a novelty but it's time for them to go to somebody who wants to carry on with them.

You are close enough to come and see them if you want to, a couple of hours away I'd say.

seth

Sorry, but I did sell two steers, and my brother and I, along with my Dad share one account. They say that there is no need because they don't use it enough.

I looked through your catalogue, and all of those animals look like they were $2000.00 animals, and I can't afford that. I go to University in four years, and don't want to make loans. I have four registered females (Angus) and Dad and I share a bull. I also have one comm. Angus heifer and two steers for 4-H. I may be getting a job this summer, so mabye next year, If I need a 4-H heifer, but our neighbour sold out and I got a pair for 1200. Cow is Ranchers choice bloodlines, and the calf is a triple threat daughter. She will be shown at some local shows. Dad would like to see new breeds added to his comm. herd, and he thought that Speckle Park would help with the milk, frame, and weights. But now we just bought some semen today.

seth, how has your calving season been going? We have 20 on the ground, and I have one of my own out of my show cow. Dad's Simmie/Angus bull jumped the fence, so this calf is a hybrid. He is Dad's next Herd sire. To pay for my feed, Dad currently owns 1/3 of him.

Take care!!

Latest posts