Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Badtrain80

Reaction score
Hello I am new here!! I would like to here your thoughts on a some breed crosses. I have two brangus cows that gave birth to calves from a full blooded Santa Gurtrudis bull. I also have a full blooded Hereford cow that calve from the same bull!! My questions are do they have any value outside the action house. The Hereford cow calve a bull and its younger by two weeks to the other two calves and its visually larger in comparison! The other two are a heifer and another bull! All three of them are orange or dark orange in color! The first guy mom is a brangus the second guy mom is the Hereford and last it's the heifer her mom is a brangus. Anything will help. Thanks!!

Ok thanks! I was honestly hoping for better feed back. The stud service was cheap could not pass plus trying to grow the herd without spending to much on buying cattle.

Badtrain80":3sdmpeox said:
Ok thanks! I was honestly hoping for better feed back. The stud service was cheap could not pass plus trying to grow the herd without spending to much on buying cattle.
Sometimes using the wrong sire can wind up costing you...you'd have been better off using a good brangus bull over those cows...growing a herd is easy with time... Growing a good one,another thing all together.. One thing I don't skimp on a good bull...but it takes time ,mistakes and experience,to get there..it's a constant battle

Badtrain80":2q23ck2x said:

Gerts have really went down in popularity. Back in the fifties uncle ran 250 head.
You can't find one now Brangus the F-1 and BM became the preferred Brahman influenced cattle.

Keep the heifer. Castrate and sell the bulls.

Rinse.

Repeat.

... and as said above ... get a good bull from a cow family that produces good tempered, deep bodied, fertile cattle.

You said you'd hoped for better feedback. I didn't think there was anything wrong with what you got, but maybe it wasn't what you wanted to hear. If you're using AI I'd recommend using a Brangus bull on the Hereford cows, and vice versa. You can't go wrong with super baldies.

I would watch the heifer develop. I have seen many good cows with Gert in them. The same can be said about Brangus. Either is a good cross if you are looking for some Brahma benefits without as much dockage. To be truthful IMO it is too early to tell a lot about any of the calves.

There is a guy that sells hereford/ Santa Gertrudis cross replacement heifers in the Souther Livestock Standard paper. He runs a full ad. People say they make great replacements here in Tx. I dont think they would bring a penny more at the auction. Never seen a brown hereford cross with ear bring more(except tigerstripes)Probably just on the market as replacement heifers. I thought about throwing some Santa Gertrudis on my Hereford bull but there's just not as much money in it from what I see.

BK9954":mqq57rfm said:
There is a guy that sells hereford/ Santa Gertrudis cross replacement heifers in the Souther Livestock Standard paper. He runs a full ad. People say they make great replacements here in Tx. I dont think they would bring a penny more at the auction. Never seen a brown hereford cross with ear bring more(except tigerstripes)Probably just on the market as replacement heifers. I thought about throwing some Santa Gertrudis on my Hereford bull but there's just not as much money in it from what I see.
https://www.google.com/search?q=star+fi ... UA7-hdC8eM: gimme gimme,,,my name is jimmy :cowboy:

Rafter S":3lfrz16z said:
You said you'd hoped for better feedback. I didn't think there was anything wrong with what you got, but maybe it wasn't what you wanted to hear. If you're using AI I'd recommend using a Brangus bull on the Hereford cows, and vice versa. You can't go wrong with super baldies.

All the info is great I was hoping to hear about the gerts mix with brangus! Seems like no one has done that cross before! Thank you for your input I'll start looking for a brangus bull. The cows should be ready by the end of August!

Latest posts