Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Post Oak":ed8df2nr said:
Caustic Burno":ed8df2nr said:
Rafter S":ed8df2nr said:
Maybe, but I've seen some of them. They make good cows, and are a consistent dark red, with varying amounts of white on the face, instead of the crayon box of colors you get from Beefmasters.

That 1/4 SH goes a long way when adding chrome
Why don't the gerts chrome up like the Beefmasters when the gerts are 62.5% Shorthorn and the BM are only 25%(plus %25 Hereford)?

Maybe it was the combination of Hereford and Shorthorn that put the chrome on them.

Post Oak":2posgq8j said:
Caustic Burno":2posgq8j said:
Rafter S":2posgq8j said:
Maybe, but I've seen some of them. They make good cows, and are a consistent dark red, with varying amounts of white on the face, instead of the crayon box of colors you get from Beefmasters.

That 1/4 SH goes a long way when adding chrome
Why don't the gerts chrome up like the Beefmasters when the gerts are 62.5% Shorthorn and the BM are only 25%(plus %25 Hereford)?

That was a mutant dark red color gene that stuck came out of a bull named Monkey . The King ranch secured from the Pierce ranch a bull that was 1/2 Brahman and SH bull was mated to SH this mating produced Monkey that is the foundation bull of all modern day gerts.

I was well educated in the hateful breed as a young man. Uncle ran a herd of 250 of them and I was the ranch gofer.

To answer the question of why Gerts don't "chrome" up, they were selected for solid color. I like a little white on the udders of my Gert cows. My experience is those cows seem to milk a little heavier. I have seen the same thing in Brangus.

Caustic, the breed has changed from your and mine younger days. They are not your uncle's Gerts. Here is a picture of a late 1960's early 70's bull and a modern Gert bull.

BC":dz08jxzi said:
To answer the question of why Gerts don't "chrome" up, they were selected for solid color. I like a little white on the udders of my Gert cows. My experience is those cows seem to milk a little heavier. I have seen the same thing in Brangus.

Caustic, the breed has changed from your and mine younger days. They are not your uncle's Gerts. Here is a picture of a late 1960's early 70's bull and a modern Gert bull.

. Yep that older bull's type really hurt the breed....and it's been a struggle to recover..ad that and bad temperament... And they seemed more trouble than they were worth...you could build a saddle outa that sheath..

BC":325r27rq said:

BC,

Do you know if anyone maintained any of the Mayfair Gert bloodlines?

ALACOWMAN":1ylf9np0 said:
BC":1ylf9np0 said:

. Yep that older bull's type really hurt the breed....and it's been a struggle to recover..ad that and bad temperament... And they seemed more trouble than they were worth...you could build a saddle outa that sheath..

They were firecrackers for sure, but to be fair cattle management was a lot different then as well.
Those girls back then would eat you.
I have doctored a many a tally wacker on those early Gert bulls.
Killed one as well my uncle bought off the King ranch.

Remember going to Montgomery to the livestock show an rodeo...those gerts were monsters... Walk past the ones tied up... I'm 6'3 and looked like their tail head was right at face level... Like a draft horse,,all frame

Cows came up this morning, I feed them a little once or twice a week during the summer. Someone mentioned goggle eyes on the Hereford/Gert crosses, so I tried to get some pictures of some of mine. These are just commercial cows purchased from a Hereford influence sale so I don't really know exactly the breeding, but since there seem to be more Gerts around here than some of the other crosses I am guessing that is what they are.
This cow has red covering more of her face on the other side, making for a wide blaze face.

This is her Hereford sired bull calf, will be a steer a little later.

A goggle eyed cow,

A Hereford sired calf out of a Beefmaster cow for comparison on coloring.

Rafter S":1zu2cuc1 said:
BC":1zu2cuc1 said:

BC,

Rafter S, Allen Grainger and his wife Cheryl have some Mayfair bloodlines. Allen was Mr. Butler's grandson. They use the Ronking A brand.

Here are some Gert cross ptictures:

Santa Gertrudis sired calf out of a Charolais cow

Santa Gertrudis x Angus

Santa Gertrudis x Red Angus

BC":1udzmla8 said:
Rafter S":1udzmla8 said:
BC":1udzmla8 said:

BC,

Rafter S, Allen Grainger and his wife Cheryl have some Mayfair bloodlines. Allen was Mr. Butler's grandson. They use the Ronking A brand.

I'm glad to hear that. Mr. Theek raised some nice cattle.

Lots of good info!! So what would be better bull for my cows. I have four brangus cross and one Hereford cow. The Santa Gertrudis bull is available if I want to use him again! What do y'all think? Here is pic of the bull

Badtrain80":2dgc3klz said:
Here are pics of the three calves from this bull!!
He's a decent looking bull,,maybe not being used to his full potential,,as far as the brangus momas go... But the calves look good... Like to use him on some good whiteface or red Angus cows... You sho could knock a homer...

Brute 23":22gt6nsg said:
Badtrain80":22gt6nsg said:
Here are pics of the three calves from this bull!!

I think your jumping the gun judging the bull off those 3 calves.

I understand what your saying about jumping the gun! I was just going based on what I read from other ppl on here! I don't know much about cattle everything I know about them i learned from one rancher and google lol. I bought a small ranch just two years ago and started to buy some cows due to the fact that it came with two and I needed at least three for tax purposes!! It's all a learning curve for me!! Thanks for your input and everyone else too!

Badtrain80":2rh48cwr said:
It's all a learning curve for me!!
I've been at a goodly number of years and it still is a learning curve for me too.

Latest posts