Santa gurtrudis cross cattle!!

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc":g7wshpn4 said:
I would watch the heifer develop. I have seen many good cows with Gert in them. The same can be said about Brangus. Either is a good cross if you are looking for some Brahma benefits without as much dockage. To be truthful IMO it is too early to tell a lot about any of the calves.

When would it be a good time to tell if they are good calves? Thanks for your input!!

Before you give up on Santa Gertrudis, go to http://santagertrudis.com/. At the bottom left hand corner of the home page there is a link to a powerpoint on how to use Santa Gertrudis in a crossbreeding program.

By the way, Salacoa Valley Brangus (Seminole Tribe) is getting into Gerts to compliment their Brangus cattle by offering red cattle to customers.

BC":15i65wzz said:
Before you give up on Santa Gertrudis, go to http://santagertrudis.com/. At the bottom left hand corner of the home page there is a link to a powerpoint on how to use Santa Gertrudis in a crossbreeding program.

By the way, Salacoa Valley Brangus (Seminole Tribe) is getting into Gerts to compliment their Brangus cattle by offering red cattle to customers.

Howdy BC,

I hadn't heard that, and I wonder why they chose Gerts over Red Brangus?

Probably for the crossbred effect, instead of breed regression...course I've been told the market don't give a crap about hybrid vigor... Which is the whole concept behind cross breeding....superior to the parents..

ALACOWMAN":153c6bng said:
Probably for the crossbred effect, instead of breed regression...course I've been told the market don't give a crap about hybrid vigor... Which is the whole concept behind cross breeding....superior to the parents..

You missed that deal. I meant most of the market doesnt understand why tigers are good. They just know they are. They get duped into buying tigers that are not true f1 crosses so they get the color but not the performance.

Neighbor has a couple hundred head of gerts and has started the last few years using a horned Hereford bull on them. Have made some pretty darn good crossbred cows and the steers have done well (except for the knock on the ear) at the salebarn. 2 of them in 2 different years finished in the upper 10% of the market steers at the local county fair. Our fair uses ultra sound for carcass evaluation. That gets figured in with the market value, daily gain and the beauty contest scores. The brangus steers don;t do any better at the beauty contest part because of the ear.

dun":28ee7kom said:
Neighbor has a couple hundred head of gerts and has started the last few years using a horned Hereford bull on them. Have made some pretty darn good crossbred cows and the steers have done well (except for the knock on the ear) at the salebarn. 2 of them in 2 different years finished in the upper 10% of the market steers at the local county fair. Our fair uses ultra sound for carcass evaluation. That gets figured in with the market value, daily gain and the beauty contest scores. The brangus steers don;t do any better at the beauty contest part because of the ear.
What do you mean by: except for the knock on the ear

Badtrain80":i8l882kw said:
dun":i8l882kw said:
What do you mean by: except for the knock on the ear
In this area ear is looked on with disfavor. The more ear they have he hauls them to oklahoma

I see too many people worry over a dock for too much ear, when they are giving up pounds. I was visiting with 2 order buyers after the sale and they both said they would rather have the dock and sell more pounds. One gave the example of a 500 lb okie steer @ $1.45 =$725.00 or a 550 lb Brahman influenced calf @ $1.35 = $742.50. We keep score with dollar bills.

Gents will work in cross breeding ; check out Nunley brothers in Sabinal Texas : selling 500 heifers at the coyote ranch headquarters ; they have ranches all over texas: they cross the gerts with Hereford , angus and now are using watusi in their operation: you can view the cattle before the sale and then bid on video screen on sale day at the lodge but the big bass jumping in their very large lake is distracting , south Texas is home to some of the best santa gertrudis operations you will ever find

The last sale I attended the angus bulls they were using Gardiner bulls ..... case closed, excellent heifers

Have a few Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cows. They seem to be a good cross that works well for us. Have had calves from them by Angus bulls and this year by a Hereford bull. The 3/4 Hereford calves are still a dark red and though they are young they look to me like they will be good calves.

Ky hills":2tunngbh said:
Have a few Santa Gertrudis x Hereford cows. They seem to be a good cross that works well for us. Have had calves from them by Angus bulls and this year by a Hereford bull. The 3/4 Hereford calves are still a dark red and though they are young they look to me like they will be good calves.
. Should be, Are they goggle eyed ??

Ky hills":3qwca9oy said:

Gert/Hereford cross is just a wrong percentage Beefmaster

ALACOWMAN":zxcw8u3z said:
Ky hills":zxcw8u3z said:
. Should be, Are they goggle eyed ??

The 1/2 Gert cows we have are either goggle eyed or have red faces with some white on them. The Hereford calves from them are not really goggle eyed but have red necks and a little red around the eyes.

Caustic Burno":g9c6hctn said:
Ky hills":g9c6hctn said:

Maybe, but I've seen some of them. They make good cows, and are a consistent dark red, with varying amounts of white on the face, instead of the crayon box of colors you get from Beefmasters.

Rafter S":21xzawja said:
Caustic Burno":21xzawja said:
Ky hills":21xzawja said:

Maybe, but I've seen some of them. They make good cows, and are a consistent dark red, with varying amounts of white on the face, instead of the crayon box of colors you get from Beefmasters.

That 1/4 SH goes a long way when adding chrome

Caustic Burno":925z08yb said:
Rafter S":925z08yb said:
Caustic Burno":925z08yb said:

Why don't the gerts chrome up like the Beefmasters when the gerts are 62.5% Shorthorn and the BM are only 25%(plus %25 Hereford)?

Post Oak":2b3njjqy said:
Caustic Burno":2b3njjqy said:
Rafter S":2b3njjqy said:

Why don't the gerts chrome up like the Beefmasters when the gerts are 62.5% Shorthorn and the BM are only 25%(plus %25 Hereford)?

Not exactly sure, but maybe they were selectively bred for solid color.

Latest posts