Salt

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
Do any of you put a salt lick out from time to time along with your regular minerals?

Loose mineral and loose salt in separate containers, no mixing. If salt is needed to attract cattle to eat mineral, than you have an unpalatable mineral and should look elsewhere for your supplies. Mine will decide which is required. For the past two months, salt has been in high demand with my cows, whereas mineral has slowed down, which is great for the pocketbook. Now if I had mixed them, high dollar mineral/salt mix would be going through them and the dollar bills would be flying out the backside.

Only if the mineral we're using specifies to have additional salt available.

J&D Cattle":1lhh51zw said:
dun":1lhh51zw said:

X2, the mineral I use says no seperate salt is recommended.
Mine too but I let the cow decide. ;-) After all, they're selling mineral.

TexasBred":iu3jcq6w said:
J&D Cattle":iu3jcq6w said:
dun":iu3jcq6w said:

X2, the mineral I use says no seperate salt is recommended.

Stuff isn't cheap, no doubt. I wonder about the intelligence of my cattle like I do their owner at times when it comes to choices. My wife says I make the wrong ones all the time. :lol2:

J&D Cattle":2wofz2re said:

Stuff isn't cheap, no doubt. I wonder about the intelligence of my cattle like I do their owner at times when it comes to choices. My wife says I make the wrong ones all the time. :lol2:

lo., your's too huh?? :nod:

I put both, separated in a through under a shed, with a fly rub above them.

I put both

I recall that blocks alone usually get low marks here, but it appears that several would recommend a block along with loose mineral. Am I absorbing that correctly?

J&D Cattle":11kbbi91 said:
I wonder about the intelligence of my cattle like I do their owner at times when it comes to choices. My wife says I make the wrong ones all the time. :lol2:

When mine says that I remind her that I chose her, so....

herofan":7ndhhmlw said:
I recall that blocks alone usually get low marks here, but it appears that several would recommend a block along with loose mineral. Am I absorbing that correctly?

Been lots of threads on this--the general consensus seems to be loose salt and loose mineral--separate containers.
I have noticed, that with all the high humidity I have here, the loose stock salt in the plastic drum feeder doesn't stay very "loose" for long. Doesn't seem to slow them down eating it tho.

I figure the time they spend standing there licking a mineral block is time better spent grazing--they can get a mouthful of min/salt and be back to eating grass in a lot less time, not to mention they can wear out 3 tongues licking a block before they ever get enough to really do any good.

greybeard":18q8g9o1 said:
herofan":18q8g9o1 said:

Been lots of threads on this--the general consensus seems to be loose salt and loose mineral--separate containers.
I have noticed, that with all the high humidity I have here, the loose stock salt in the plastic drum feeder doesn't stay very "loose" for long. Doesn't seem to slow them down eating it tho.

I figure the time they spend standing there licking a mineral block is time better spent grazing--they can get a mouthful of min/salt and be back to eating grass in a lot less time, not to mention they can wear out 3 tongues licking a block before they ever get enough to really do any good.
Exactly GB.

Calhoun Farm":1wgws8tc said:
I thought salt was only for surprising their appetite.
It's alos used to stimulate it. There is a balance when it switches from one to the other.

Latest posts