Salt and minerals?

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
Is it ok to feed this without any added salt to the mix.

ScannedImage-3-1.jpg

Walt

Walt ~
It is my understanding that sodium selenite is salt ~ yes?

Sodium Selenite is not the salt source. Animal fat is added as an 'anti-caking' agent, however it very humid areas I've heard this can become rancid and very unpalatable. A mineral like this is usually consumed in the 4 oz/head/day range. If fed at that rate, the salt level is fine.

Should be ok "free choice". I'd prefer mineral oil or vegetable oil in it but otherwise it's ok. The selenium is about 1/2 what I want in a mineral. With these guarantees and "lack" of guarantees it should be a medium priced mineral.

i fed wind an rain minerals without feeding salt.an they would eat 50lbs of minerals in 4 days.an i done that for a while.but it got real costly.so now the cows eat 60lbs mineral an 50lb salt every 10 days more or less.so if i was you id keep salt out year round for the cows.

Other than the issue with palatability and possible rancidity, what would be the concern with animal fat?

rk":3282vyoy said:
Other than the issue with palatability and possible rancidity, what would be the concern with animal fat?

you and i have already done this dance, if you need a refresh check out the feed yard board and re read the thread.

but for those who don't know...
cattle are herbivoires not carivoires.
herbivoires eat plant matter not animal matter. The gut was not made or designed to digest animal matter. NO amount of science or theories or what ever cost cutting propoganda hurled at us is going to change that fact.
The sooner we quit messing with God's or natures design the sooner we can get back to consumer confidence globally in our meat. Otherwise we are no different that the chinese and their cost cutting measures to produce a cheap inferior product.

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to add salt to this supplement. 8.5% just seemed really low and I didn't have any prior knowledge to go off of. Most of the ranchers around here put out a salt block and a mineral block.

Walt

Hey Walt, what are they selling this Mineral for a bag?

Not very good for our area as far as Copper goes, or as a Spring Mineral, but overall it's acceptable.

In these type of minerals--usually the salt is used as a "limiter" to ration out the amount of mineral taken in-and to limit them from using too much or eating it too fast--so you don't want to add any salt....

Crowderfarms":1impcxn5 said:
Hey Walt, what are they selling this Mineral for a bag?

Not very good for our area as far as Copper goes, or as a Spring Mineral, but overall it's acceptable.

$16.00

Walt

Crowderfarms":3jfkvz2q said:
I think you can do better for at least 3-4.00 less a sack.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start shopping around.

Walt

why not just put out a salt block and let the cattle decide if they need more salt. blocks r cheap enough and livestock are smarter than we think

sparky1":181ww2up said:
why not just put out a salt block and let the cattle decide if they need more salt. blocks r cheap enough and livestock are smarter than we think
I have not put out a block of salt in 25 years.Loose minerals usually have plenty of salt to meet Cattle's requirements.You can kill 2 birds with one stone by using a Complete loose mineral.

sparky1":1kiqa8rn said:

To me its just a waste of money-- and then in these type minerals where they use the amount of salt as their intake limiter, if the cattle get too much salt from the blocks- they may not intake enough mineral for their needs....

I live in an area where there is so much salt in the water- that cows won't touch salt blocks- or this type of mineral that has salt in it....In order to assure they get the necessary minerals I have to use the tubs while the cattle are drinking the river bottom well water.....

rockridgecattle":x6h9wqsu said:
rk":x6h9wqsu said:

you and i have already done this dance, if you need a refresh check out the feed yard board and re read the thread.

but for those who don't know...
cattle are herbivoires not carivoires.
herbivoires eat plant matter not animal matter. The gut was not made or designed to digest animal matter. NO amount of science or theories or what ever cost cutting propoganda hurled at us is going to change that fact.
The sooner we quit messing with God's or natures design the sooner we can get back to consumer confidence globally in our meat. Otherwise we are no different that the chinese and their cost cutting measures to produce a cheap inferior product.
Nope, don't need a refresher....or a dance either. If you don't want to feed animal fat, then don't. That will limit choices, since most manufacturers use some fat. It is done every day, and more often than not. You can believe in "nature's design" if you want, but you'll have a hard time finding a nutritionist against using animal fat.