Saler x Angus cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have purchased a small group (15) of Salers x Angus cows that have been exposed to black salers bull i plan on keeping the heifers as replacement but i plan on exposing the cows to Charolais bulls for a market calves, and once the are old enough the heifers to an Angus. Do they sound like good idead or bad

Not crazy about Charolais bulls - calves are often too big - plus the all black calves tend to sell much better in our area than do the smokies. Of course, you have to do what works best in your market area.
Seen a few Char. bulls that were real tough to handle when crowded - "Chandelier Bulls"' - that's what you end up hanging from after he chases you around the pen for a bit.

I think it is a sound plan. You will want to pay attention to BW's and EPD's when you go to look at bulls, but you should see some good calves from the 3-way cross on your calves and your heifers should do well as well.

Bullbuyer, I have seen bulls with attitudes like that in many, many breeds. Chars I didn't think were the worst. You can end up with big calves from the Char but then again you can have them with Simm, Gelbv, Limo, Angus, Hereford.......... All I have to say is pay attention to the EPD's and have a look at the bull's build, that will tell you a lot more about his calving ease than just what breed he is.

No problem with Chars any more than any other breed as far as calving goes. There are bad in any breed. Remember, the cow is at least half the BW equation. Maybe more. This is where EPD's come into play.

Same goes for the temperament/dispositions. Depends on where they come from.

Bullbuyer, go crawl back in your hole! :lol: :lol:

Bullbuyer":11jlkuet said:
Not crazy about Charolais bulls - calves are often too big - plus the all black calves tend to sell much better in our area than do the smokies. Of course, you have to do what works best in your market area.
Seen a few Char. bulls that were real tough to handle when crowded - "Chandelier Bulls"' - that's what you end up hanging from after he chases you around the pen for a bit.
I am not crazy about Char bulls either. Smoky cattle sell well in my region. Take care. :cboy:

Well you know you can get Charolais bulls that throw 65 lb calves.

My Char bulls are in the mid 80's with mature cows, and all cows calved unassisted.

As far as easy handeling, you got to be careful of what your buying in any breed. :roll:

mnmt

Basiclly the plan sounds good enough except for the Saler part of the heifers.

ranching hands":387xtwxr said:
I have purchased a small group (15) of Salers x Angus cows that have been exposed to black salers bull i plan on keeping the heifers as replacement but i plan on exposing the cows to Charolais bulls for a market calves, and once the are old enough the heifers to an Angus. Do they sound like good idead or bad

This is a very sound group of cows to have. It's a very nice cross; we have had a few of these in the years past. As far as birth weights go we had a few Charolais bulls that had larger calves. The good thing is the Salers cows are famous for a larger pelvic area and can have these larger calves with ease. Birth weights even in the Angus breed have skyrocketed in our area. You don't find the 70lb birth weights here on the registered farms that frequently anymore. I have seen many of them over 100lbs. AND who knows how many of them are being honest! The pictures that I have posted are of 75% or greater red Salers cows and calves sired by Charolais bulls. The gold calves we get sell very well.

One thing to keep in mind with the Salers is not to let anyone scare you off with horror stories of bad dispositions. There are unscrupulous breeders out there who don't care but for the most part they are as easy going as anything else you could find. We've had more than one bull/cow that we could sit on and set kids on. We even had a picture of a 2yr old bull that we showed with us sitting on him at our state fair. Like most anyone will agree there are good and bad with any breed, you just need to be able to spot it and stay away.

Take care and good luck. You'll really like this group of cows!

I like the idea, I breed purebred charolais and Angus, and my entire commerical herd is Smokies... Keep in mind,,, a 50lb Angus calf at birth that weights 500 at weaning is ok, but a Char X calf that comes in from 70-90 lbs at birth and comes off the cow at 650-750 is great.. I still sell my beef by the pound!! Also the charolais will help take the fat off the Angus while adding more defined muscle and rate of gain.

J":znk7arzr said:
But in general chalaios bulls tend to throw bigger calves than angus.
One of our bulls is a huge Charolais /Santa Gertrudis cross and Tornado has always thrown easy calving babies while our neighbor who has a really small Black Angus loses several calves every season because of their large size. We got three calves this year out of Tornado's eldest son(3 year old) who is out of a Skat Cat cow and Hurricane threw tiny babies that grew fast.

Pooog1":3sg28j3t said:
ranching hands":3sg28j3t said:

This is a very sound group of cows to have. It's a very nice cross; we have had a few of these in the years past. As far as birth weights go we had a few Charolais bulls that had larger calves. The good thing is the Salers cows are famous for a larger pelvic area and can have these larger calves with ease. Birth weights even in the Angus breed have skyrocketed in our area. You don't find the 70lb birth weights here on the registered farms that frequently anymore. I have seen many of them over 100lbs. AND who knows how many of them are being honest! The pictures that I have posted are of 75% or greater red Salers cows and calves sired by Charolais bulls. The gold calves we get sell very well.

One thing to keep in mind with the Salers is not to let anyone scare you off with horror stories of bad dispositions. There are unscrupulous breeders out there who don't care but for the most part they are as easy going as anything else you could find. We've had more than one bull/cow that we could sit on and set kids on. We even had a picture of a 2yr old bull that we showed with us sitting on him at our state fair. Like most anyone will agree there are good and bad with any breed, you just need to be able to spot it and stay away.

Take care and good luck. You'll really like this group of cows!
This may give you a laugh.One of our bull calves was in with our neighbors' calves and to catch him up he caught him in his pen when he was ready to take a load off and hauled Two Hawks in his trailer with his calves he was selling. At the sale barn he had them unload Two Hawks and reload him after his calves were out.A man who raised Salers tried to buy him-offered $600 for a yearling bull and said he wanted him because he had to be pure Salers and when Bobby told him the bull had no Salers blood the guy actually argued with him.he was a breeder of registered Salers nd knew the breed.Well Two Hawks is the son of TN Tornado who is Charolais/Santa Gertrudis and #86 who is Simmental cross out of the great bucker Skat Cat. He has no Salers in him at all!

Latest posts