Sale Times

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
Just wondering when everyone typically sales throughout the year. I know that prices go up in the spring time but is there a specific month or couple of months that you will get the best prices? I realize this all depends on the market and what you are selling but typically speaking what is the case each year? If you don't sale in the spring is there another time of year that is comparable to spring time? What about the worst time of year to sale? I typically try to sale around april or may and am in Western NC if that makes a difference. Any thoughts to all or some of these questions are appreciated.

we sale or calves when they are ready.most of the time we sale in fall before jan.an then we sale some in late spring.

If you throw this year out. For the last 50 years on average May-July have averaged 8-12/cwt higher than the worst time of year which has been Oct-Dec. The way the last year has gone who knows.

most years if you sell from dec to mid jan youd take a beating.it was always best to not sale during the holidays.

I am thinking about holding mine over until June and seeling them then weaned, bunk broke and waterer broke. Thoughts?

You need to try to avoid October. The runs are larger (more cattle for sale). Calf buyers refer to October as "National Dead Calf Month" because of increased death loss and sickness.

Latest posts