Sale Results

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I sold a mix of steers and heifers 2/7/2020 at Winnsboro Livestock Auction. Average weight 429 pounds. Average net price $597 per head. This stopped a $30 a day feed bill not counting the hay that I had baled. At least $12.50 per day for hay.

sstterry said:
So, I am assuming they averaged a $1.40 something per pound?
You assumed right I had 19 heifers and 17 steers in the bunch. they ranged from 220 lbs to 590 lbs. Had several in the bunch that brought in the range of 1.60 and one that brought 1.80. This is about the average in my area for this time of year. All were weaned and been on feed since the first of December. I had hoped for $18,000 net but ended up with $21,496.82.

Nice when you get over $3000 more than you were hoping. Bet that doesn't happen too often.

hurleyjd said:
sstterry said:
You assumed right I had 19 heifers and 17 steers in the bunch. they ranged from 220 lbs to 590 lbs. Had several in the bunch that brought in the range of 1.60 and one that brought 1.80. This is about the average in my area for this time of year. All were weaned and been on feed since the first of December. I had hoped for $18,000 net but ended up with $21,496.82.
Well I gotta ask, how big was the 220lb calf when you weaned it if it's been on feed since the first of December.

kenny thomas said:
hurleyjd said:
sstterry said:
Well I gotta ask, how big was the 220lb calf when you weaned it if it's been on feed since the first of December.
My guess about 180 lbs and was an orphan. What ever it brought $2.25 lb.

Porkchopfat said:
It is closer to Emory for you is it not? Just curious why Winnsboro. Nice check for you either way.

I have sold at Emory in the past and did do as well as Winnsboro. Plus I know the young man who owns the Auction at Winnsboro. My family and his family have know each other for ever. Plus I called Thursday afternoon and he sent a truck and help to help load and haul. Cost to haul $50.

hurleyjd said:
Porkchopfat said:
It is closer to Emory for you is it not? Just curious why Winnsboro. Nice check for you either way.

I have sold at Emory in the past and did do as well as Winnsboro. Plus I know the young man who owns the Auction at Winnsboro. My family and his family have know each other for ever. Plus I called Thursday afternoon and he sent a truck and help to help load and haul. Cost to haul $50.
That is a great deal. I have heard the Winnsboro is for sale. I hope not but have only heard the coffee shop gossip. The auctioneers do the Wood County Junior Livestock Auction for the FFA and 4h kids for a lot of years. I have been very happy with the money they have been able to get for the kids. I do wish the whole thing was run better and they have been making changes to try to improve it. Time will tell. By the by I was in your neck of the woods the other day. Don't know if you heard me waving?

Latest posts