Sale Barn Lingo?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":1brzq6wc said:
I've seen the calf auctioneer at Livingston pause, point at a bidder and ask "You know we're selling by the lb now don't you?" and then continue. They have one auctioneer run the cows, bulls and pairs, then another calls the steers and calves. Most of the time, I've noticed they do say if they are splitting pairs, sometimes seen a group come in and they say "choice" for the high bidder--but not very often--usually do them one at a time no matter how many are in the ring.

and just because.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaVTxiPBJgM
Great song. Thanks for making me smile GB!

I'm not going to try quoting it, but on the situation where the auctioneer got bids on a pair, and then split them, I disagree that be did the right thing. That's not fair to the people that bid on them. If he didn't think that was enough money he should have started the bidding higher, and then he could have split them if he didn't get a bid.

Rafter S":2eucqiw2 said:
I'm not going to try quoting it, but on the situation where the auctioneer got bids on a pair, and then split them, I disagree that be did the right thing. That's not fair to the people that bid on them. If he didn't think that was enough money he should have started the bidding higher, and then he could have split them if he didn't get a bid.

The auctioneer here will announce that he reserves the right to split them when he starts selling pairs. And keep n mind it s the auctioneers job to represent the seller and get him the most money possible.

There is a difference between the ''starting bid'' and a firm bid from a genuine buyer. Not many barns would stay in business if they were rejecting a firm bid to resell a split. Sometimes things are different than what they look like.

I'm usually at the stock yard in a shirt and tie, straight from work. You get a lot of looks that way.

Dave":1fe3k4u4 said:
Rafter S":1fe3k4u4 said:

The auctioneer here will announce that he reserves the right to split them when he starts selling pairs. And keep n mind it s the auctioneers job to represent the seller and get him the most money possible.
As well as himself and the barn. Higher sale price=higher total revenue for the the barn and I assume for the auctioneer if he is paid on % too, but bottom line is, it's the barn's obligation to try to get the most for the seller--not keep prices low for the buyer. Free market forces at work.

Dave":15kv606u said:
Rafter S":15kv606u said:

Not uncommon to split pair but it's done and announced before the bidding starts. I've never seen an auctioneer split a pair after he had received one or more bids on the intact pair. If he's looking out for me he should have realized they would sell for more money split before the bidding started... Sounds downright unethical to me.

M-5":2zekh73p said:
I have seen pairs split at the request of owner. or the proposed buyer asked for one or the other. I have never seen a split on a pair that actually had a bid.

They do it a lot. Usually it makes a few hundred dollars difference. If bidding is good, they don't split. There are less older cows in the market now. Most were sold off back in the drought. Much less going through than what there used to be.

I buy beef calves to graft onto nurse cows, which leaves me in the market - a lot. Probably why I pay so much attention to pairs. A week old calf has had its fill of colostrums and is already on its way. There's value there and the ring man knows it. Most everyone who frequents the barn knows that splits happen if the bidding does not support selling as a pair.

There are many times I would have been better off buying the pair and splitting them myself. I had assumed the ring man would split because of lack of bidding. I should have been getting in on the action. In those cases the seller lost and he lost a lot.

TexasBred":1ota1cgr said:
Dave":1ota1cgr said:
Rafter S":1ota1cgr said:

Not uncommon to split pair but it's done and announced before the bidding starts. I've never seen an auctioneer split a pair after he had received one or more bids on the intact pair. If he's looking out for me he should have realized they would sell for more money split before the bidding started... Sounds downright unethical to me.

There is nothing unethical about it. He announces before hand that he reserves the right to split them. Anyone who is listening is aware of what is going on. I have even heard him announce a figure, say $2000 or I will split them, when he had a life bid at say $1800. The guy who was in at $1800 can bid the $2000 and keep them together or just let them go.

I absolutely hate buying pairs that they split. Once you have bought the cow you have to buy the calf and it always seems that some guy will run the heck out of you on the calf.

Dave":rsd3fqdn said:
There is nothing unethical about it. He announces before hand that he reserves the right to split them. Anyone who is listening is aware of what is going on. I have even heard him announce a figure, say $2000 or I will split them, when he had a life bid at say $1800. The guy who was in at $1800 can bid the $2000 and keep them together or just let them go.

I absolutely hate buying pairs that they split. Once you have bought the cow you have to buy the calf and it always seems that some guy will run the heck out of you on the calf.

I said "splitting after a bid had been made" was unethical. If he announces it ahead of time no big deal or if he puts a reserve on them like the $2000 you mentioned and doesn't get that bid.....Best thing to do to avoid it is just check them in as two totally separate animals and let them sell separately if you think that's what will happen in the ring anyway.

I'm a little confused, so is anyone here saying they go to sales where they split pairs after getting a bid? If so I would have a hard time doing business there, after they get the money on one it should be gone. If they don't want to sell one where they set it in the owner or auctioneer needs to know the market a little better and learn how to set them in at what they are worth and either get the money or split. I mean do they go out to your pens that you've already bought and re sell them if they think about it and decide you didn't give enough?

Dave":crkb6yzq said:
[ Once you have bought the cow you have to buy the calf and it always seems that some guy will run the heck out of you on the calf.

Sorry Dave im that guy :hide: most of the time the guys let the calf go and just take the cow and I get the calf :oops:

denvermartinfarms":3hgp1ogc said:
I'm a little confused, so is anyone here saying they go to sales where they split pairs after getting a bid? If so I would have a hard time doing business there, after they get the money on one it should be gone. If they don't want to sell one where they set it in the owner or auctioneer needs to know the market a little better and learn how to set them in at what they are worth and either get the money or split. I mean do they go out to your pens that you've already bought and re sell them if they think about it and decide you didn't give enough?

The ones I witness, the cow and calf are split right there in the ring. The calf usually goes back and they start selling the cow by the pound. Once she is sold, she belongs to the buyer. Calf comes through a little later. If the market supports the calf well, they'll split more.

I am usually there for the calves only. Don't want older calves. Dave wouldn't like me either. I am looking at a $1300 selling price later. Looking at keeping my costs around $1 a day for that calf. Profit margin is good when you pay $500 for the calf in today's market.

backhoeboogie":2knqanhs said:
denvermartinfarms":2knqanhs said:

The ones I witness, the cow and calf are split right there in the ring. The calf usually goes back and they start selling the cow by the pound. Once she is sold, she belongs to the buyer. Calf comes through a little later. If the market supports the calf well, they'll split more.

I am usually there for the calves only. Don't want older calves. Dave wouldn't like me either. I am looking at a $1300 selling price later. Looking at keeping my costs around $1 a day for that calf. Profit margin is good when you pay $500 for the calf in today's market.
Right, it's normal for one to come in the ring and be split before they start selling or split any time before they get a bid, but once they have the money on them as a pair they should never go back.

denvermartinfarms":2pl9k1he said:

Referring to this earlier post Denver. In this case it worked for the seller but still something i've never seen.

. I got tickled a while back when a pair come in the ring. He started at $2300 and got no bib. He dropped all the way to like $1500 before he got a bid and went back up to about $1850. He wasn't satisfied so he split them. Sold then he sold the cow for $1450 and the calf brought $850. Total $2300! That's the kind of guy you want handling your sale.

I would like to know what others think about what this Auctioneer did ?
If you was a seller I guess you might like it , but if I was the buyer and had the pair bought for 1850.00 and he did that there would be a real problem ,unless it is not an absolute auction or the owner PO the pair and had her resold as a split. In some states there is laws regulating stuff like this and the auctioneer bidding up ,don't know about this state?
I can see both sides of this but seems like things like this will run off the buyers and there again if they sell to cheap you run off the sellers .
In MY OPINION the auction should know what way to make them bring the most and she should have been split from the get go or if sold as a pair left that and what she brought is what she brought just part of selling at auction.
I go to LOTS of auctions and see them say " I'm gona weigh the cow to you then sell the calf and you can buy them both and put them back together if you want to " ( most often this is if the calf is big or maybe the cows udder does not look good ect...) but after they start the auction and get a bid its a done deal unless the owner stops them and wants it done different

What I am saying is that a pair will come in. The auctioneers says I reserve the right to split them. Then he starts selling them. Lets say he tries to start them at $2000 and then drops back to $1500 to get a bid. Then maybe gets a bid or two but still less than they are worth to split. he will stop and say $2000 or I will split them. If nobody is willing to give that $2000 he will just sell the cow by the pound and then sell the calf. Remember he announced that he reserved the right to split them and he is acting on that reserved right which was announced.

Pairs with an old cow or a really big heavy cow or with a big calf they split as they come in. They never see the ring as a pair. Cows go to the weigh pen and calves go to the small calf pen. One would have to be at the loading dock and write down back tag numbers when they come in to ever put them back together.

Dave":34vjxew7 said:
What I am saying is that a pair will come in. The auctioneers says I reserve the right to split them. Then he starts selling them. Lets say he tries to start them at $2000 and then drops back to $1500 to get a bid. Then maybe gets a bid or two but still less than they are worth to split. he will stop and say $2000 or I will split them. If nobody is willing to give that $2000 he will just sell the cow by the pound and then sell the calf. Remember he announced that he reserved the right to split them and he is acting on that reserved right which was announced.

Pairs with an old cow or a really big heavy cow or with a big calf they split as they come in. They never see the ring as a pair. Cows go to the weigh pen and calves go to the small calf pen. One would have to be at the loading dock and write down back tag numbers when they come in to ever put them back together.

I have never been to any sale where an auctioneer is doing that. When they sale where i attend no matter price its not his problem he sells it and moves on. The rare cases I sell a pair I specify to them sell as a PAIR so whatever I get I get. I wouldn't attend barns with practices such as that. I also hate going to any auction and the seller can no sale an item to me if you put your item up to be sold it should be sold if it brings a dollar thats your problem market your material on your own. Now if you don't specify and the calf is big they will split at sales I attend.

skyhightree1":10npbesc said:
Dave":10npbesc said:

I wouldn't attend barns with practices such as that. I also hate going to any auction and the seller can no sale an item to me if you put your item up to be sold it should be sold if it brings a dollar thats your problem market your material on your own.

If you lived in SW Washington you would learn adjust. The other options are Everson up next to the Canadian border which means you have to drive through Seattle. It takes four hours if the traffic is good and it is never good. Woodburn down in Oregon which you have to go through Portland to get to. It is about 3 hours away. See Seattle traffic, the same thing applies to Portland traffic. And to take something there you need a Washington brand inspection first. The third option is Toppenish it is three and a half hours. No traffic but a 4,500 foot mountain pass to go over. In a normal winter you can count on snow on the road 5 months out of the year. And coming home you get to go down a 6% slope with lots of curves for a lot of miles complete with a runaway truck ramp. A real pleasure to drive with a trailer full of cows following you. So pick your poison.

Latest posts