Sale Barn Lingo?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen it once where a guy bought 82 head of graded cattle for 2.59 thinking he didn't need to take more then a couple and so they resold them all and the owner of the barn gave 2.58 to try to keep the sellers happy. He was pretty pissed at the guy until one of the order buyers found a home for them after the sale.

In general refusal to pay doesn't lead to any legal action. More often the sale barn owner will run you off and you won't be allowed back through the door. I saw a guy that wanted to buy a pig at a sale one time that never had been able to pay for what he had bought there in the past. When he won the bid they made him bring cash down and give it to the ring man before they would mark it sold.

I have seen people ask questions at ours. Most dont but its better to be sure what your bidding on. Papaw bought one once where they had swapped fromby the head to the lbs and he didnt realize it but he never said anything. Just paid it and went on. If they have a newbie bidding he will usually shut down all jabbering and just call the bid price only so the person can understand him.

. I got tickled a while back when a pair come in the ring. He started at $2300 and got no bib. He dropped all the way to like $1500 before he got a bid and went back up to about $1850. He wasn't satisfied so he split them. Sold then he sold the cow for $1450 and the calf brought $850. Total $2300! That's the kind of guy you want handling your sale.[/quote]

I would like to know what others think about what this Auctioneer did ?
If you was a seller I guess you might like it , but if I was the buyer and had the pair bought for 1850.00 and he did that there would be a real problem ,unless it is not an absolute auction or the owner PO the pair and had her resold as a split. In some states there is laws regulating stuff like this and the auctioneer bidding up ,don't know about this state?
I can see both sides of this but seems like things like this will run off the buyers and there again if they sell to cheap you run off the sellers .
In MY OPINION the auction should know what way to make them bring the most and she should have been split from the get go or if sold as a pair left that and what she brought is what she brought just part of selling at auction.
I go to LOTS of auctions and see them say " I'm gona weigh the cow to you then sell the calf and you can buy them both and put them back together if you want to " ( most often this is if the calf is big or maybe the cows udder does not look good ect...) but after they start the auction and get a bid its a done deal unless the owner stops them and wants it done different

A few weeks ago one eared mama came in ring and was eating the ring boys lunch trying to get too him behind the guard climbing up one top of it also. The auctioneer never missed a beat but worked in "she's just a little nervous being the center of attention" and kept on going.

BRYANT":2q0txfs3 said:
. I got tickled a while back when a pair come in the ring. He started at $2300 and got no bib. He dropped all the way to like $1500 before he got a bid and went back up to about $1850. He wasn't satisfied so he split them. Sold then he sold the cow for $1450 and the calf brought $850. Total $2300! That's the kind of guy you want handling your sale.

If you was a seller I guess you might like it , but if I was the buyer and had the pair bought for 1850.00 and he did that there would be a real problem ,unless it is not an absolute auction or the owner PO the pair and had her resold as a split. In some states there is laws regulating stuff like this and the auctioneer bidding up ,don't know about this state?
I can see both sides of this but seems like things like this will run off the buyers and there again if they sell to cheap you run off the sellers .
In MY OPINION the auction should know what way to make them bring the most and she should have been split from the get go or if sold as a pair left that and what she brought is what she brought just part of selling at auction.
I go to LOTS of auctions and see them say " I'm gona weigh the cow to you then sell the calf and you can buy them both and put them back together if you want to " ( most often this is if the calf is big or maybe the cows udder does not look good ect...) but after they start the auction and get a bid its a done deal unless the owner stops them and wants it done different[/quote]
The barn I use to go to the most had a buy that "set in" cattle...the price he set them in at was a bid by the barn...there was no backing up. If noone else bit the barn caught and owned that animal. Makes them stay on top of the market and know what they're doing....a lot start high hoping for a sucker it seems then back up. Have seen some back up several hundred dollars...to me that's a sign of someone who has no idea what the market really is and is just fishing for a high bit... Also I hate barns that will sell a cow/pair or whatever and even after it's left the ring and on the scale, allow you to bring it back in, point out what you think might be a fault and sell it again. That is little more than legal thievery.

BRYANT":1pnwc8jt said:
. I got tickled a while back when a pair come in the ring. He started at $2300 and got no bib. He dropped all the way to like $1500 before he got a bid and went back up to about $1850. He wasn't satisfied so he split them. Sold then he sold the cow for $1450 and the calf brought $850. Total $2300! That's the kind of guy you want handling your sale.

I would like to know what others think about what this Auctioneer did ?[/quote]
I think he did just what he's supposed to do... He got the best price out of them that he could. The seller doesn't care that you or I are looking for a cheap pairs, they want the most money they can get and if they're worth more split up then that's the way they should sell and the auctioneers market is the people sitting in front of him so he has to try it both ways to figure out how to get the best market value out of the people sitting in front of him.
When it's your turn to sell I'll bet you won't complain if he markets them the best way possible. ;-)

I love split calves. About 1 week old is perfect for grafting to a nurse cow.

Seller got the most he could get. Buyer has the option of buying them both.

Here they would sell the cow then the calf. Add the 2 together and start on the pair. If nobody bids on the pair they will be split. Happens several times every sale. It's no secret and is to be expected. If you go to a sale and start bidding before you know how that auctioneer works you can't nesicarily blame the barn.

I have considered buying the pair and then selling the cow. Only when there aren't many splits.

Market has gotten scarce lately with the cattle shortage.

The sale I go to does not allow trader cattle. Order buyers come from far and wide to buy there. Home grown cattle are listed as SV on the screen.
There are two other sales an hour up the road that take trader cattle.
We have one auctioneer that sells pairs, single cows and bulls. He will call out anything he sees and will bring a cow back through if someone points out something he missed. I have seen him stop the bidding and tell a buyer that the cow has something wrong "back there", that he will sell them the cow if they want it but it has issues.
Another auctioneer sells the stocker calves. He will point out a limp or issue. The sale barn owner watches everything and also points out problems an animal might have.
They do not want the farmer type who is looking for a cow or two getting something that already has problems.

BRYANT":397ujswh said:

I go to LOTS of auctions and see them say " I'm gona weigh the cow to you then sell the calf and you can buy them both and put them back together if you want to " ( most often this is if the calf is big or maybe the cows udder does not look good ect...) but after they start the auction and get a bid its a done deal unless the owner stops them and wants it done different[/quote]
Their barn, their rules.

Luca Brasi":29wjq9m5 said:
I was at a sale one day and was picking up my check a guy was checking out and when the lady told him how much he says "no, I only paid $255 for it" the lady told him, "yes, $2.55 per lb". He argued said the auctioneer didn't make it clear it was by the lb and that he wouldn't pay. Sale barn owner came out and told the guy if he didn't pay for the calf he was calling the police, the guy continued to argue with him, sale barn owner told him all cattle that size are sold by the lb at all sales and that you can't even buy a baby calf for $255. I didn't hang around to see what happened, but I'm sure the guy didn't get away without paying.
prairietrail45Cowhand

I'd be very interested in knowing how something like that turned out. It sounds like it is more of a civil matter than criminal, and here, the police tell you that those issues need to go through the court system. My local sale barn is often not clear on things either, and there have been a few times where I'd considered bidding on something, and if it came back with a similar misunderstanding, just telling them to stick it. Since they're not the friendliest group in the first place, I'm not too concerned with inconveniencing them. I wonder what their reaction would be if I told them to keep the animal and sue me to force me to pay. Even if they won it would take months. And then they still have to collect
You don't like them don't go.

AllForage":1oypzunw said:
Haha, this thread made me laugh out loud a few times!!! I don't know how anyone goes to sales barns on a weekly basis and then runs their operation by the ignorant cr@p that goes on there. The truth is, the slob auctioneer just says any ol dumb thing to get things sold. It's all bull shyt. Yes texasbred, I don't think most have seen their peckers since high school :). Clearly inbreeding is alive and well in the Midwest.

The worst scum bags are the order buyers that sit in the front or the side room which apparently you have to sleep with your sister to be allowed in. When I first got into cattle I bought some Holstein steers from one of these specimens. Woke up the next morning to see 12 feet sticking straight up in the air. At that time it cost me $900 of which was a lot of money to me. If I had one more screw loose I would do some bad stuff to his rig or his face. Who knows, maybe the opportunity will present itself still.
Your a ray of effin sunshine.

Tim/South":3aqh7mpo said:
The sale I go to does not allow trader cattle. Order buyers come from far and wide to buy there. Home grown cattle are listed as SV on the screen.
We have one auctioneer that sells pairs, single cows and bulls. He will call out anything he sees and will bring a cow back through if someone points out something he missed. I have seen him stop the bidding and tell a buyer that the cow has something wrong "back there", that he will sell them the cow if they want it but it has issues.
Another auctioneer sells the stocker calves. He will point out a limp or issue. The sale barn owner watches everything and also points out problems an animal might have.
They do not want the farmer type who is looking for a cow or two getting something that already has problems.
What sale barn do you go to? I might stop by sometime.

cow pollinater":1ggk6z73 said:
BRYANT":1ggk6z73 said:

I think he did just what he's supposed to do... He got the best price out of them that he could. The seller doesn't care that you or I are looking for a cheap pairs, they want the most money they can get and if they're worth more split up then that's the way they should sell and the auctioneers market is the people sitting in front of him so he has to try it both ways to figure out how to get the best market value out of the people sitting in front of him.
When it's your turn to sell I'll bet you won't complain if he markets them the best way possible. ;-)[/quote]

First off the first part of all this is a quote from someone else BUT for some reason the quotes are not working right ??? may be my computer ???

Listen to what I said "I said I can see both sides of what he did I also think the auction should do ALL THEY CAN to make them bring the most they can but if you sell a pair as a pair in MY OPOINION when you have a bidder and you sell it its a done deal . and bet if you were the buyer you would not like what he did either. I have bought a lot from the sale barns and I have sold a lot at sale barns and IN NO WAY DO I THINK YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR CATTLE TO A SALE AND GIVE THEM AWAY . I just don't think this was handled right

Tim/South":3uwggntn said:
That's neat! Sounds like a good barn to go to.

You didn't mention that Waco sale is also a cow traders convention. Always several traders running their road weary animals thru for the umpteenth time hoping to get some of that amateur mad money.[/quote]

That is the truth I can sit there and see more trash than I see at all the other barns in Central Texas. There are enough backyard cowboys to pay top price for that trash in Waco. If you got a trashy cow take it to Waco someone will pay top dollar for it. I will say this for Waco they run all the cows, bulls and trashy calves at the front then run the quality calves after.

I would be ticked off if I bid on a pair and then they split them. Most places I go once a bid is in they don't change it up.

I've seen the calf auctioneer at Livingston pause, point at a bidder and ask "You know we're selling by the lb now don't you?" and then continue. They have one auctioneer run the cows, bulls and pairs, then another calls the steers and calves. Most of the time, I've noticed they do say if they are splitting pairs, sometimes seen a group come in and they say "choice" for the high bidder--but not very often--usually do them one at a time no matter how many are in the ring.

and just because.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaVTxiPBJgM

Latest posts