Sale Barn Calf, cruddy eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

CrookedTree

Reaction score
Picked up a calf at the sale yesterday, little black heifer, 160 lbs, she was probably a split. I did something i usualy dont do and bought her from the back row... well she has dried crud under both eyes. Doesn't appear to be oozing now. she doesn't seem to be lethargic, not sneezing/coughing, no runny nose... just crud under her eyes. She is eating hay and calf starter real well so I feel good about that.

I have her isolated, any ideas or suggestions? Should I give her a shot of penicilion?

Keep her quaranteened, get her temp. If she has a fever them dose her. If not just take a wait and see for a bit

i would give a shot of pen, & watch her for a few days. pen will knock out any infection she may have & stop her from picking up anything new for a couple days

It is fairly clear, but runny still. there's a trail of it all the way down her cheeks. Both eyes. eye is not red or yellow, maybe slightly cloudy, Odd thing is that this little heifer has an ear tag, I assumed she was worked and vaccinated, but i do plan on hitting her again. I still have her isolated. Probably a bacterial infection of some sort.

There's no way of knowing anything based on the details given here. I'd have to have a look and take a temp. Based on what I hear, you could give her LA200, pen shot in the eyelid, worm her, and see if that does the trick.

She may have only been worked once and has not had that booster vaccination. Ear tags don't mean much to me. I tag steers with their dam's number and band them at birth. Tag heifers with a new sequential or open number that is no longer used. The only method to the madness is records as far as numbers go. Everything gets innoculated during the times when the herd is worked. Then I know for sure when the boosters come versus knowing who got innoculated at birth and who was missed. Sure you could put that on record but there's better things to do than check records when you are pushing a herd thru the chutes - in my opinion.

Latest posts