Safeguard

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
I watched the cattle show a couple of nights ago on rfdtv. It was a show one the safeguard deworming products. I have always used pour on or even injectable dewormer but was wondering if any of you had the safeguard or simimlar product work for you. I think they had cubes, mollasses blocks, minerals, and pellets. If i fed mine some sweetfeed for about three days prior, to get them all coming to the trough again, then I think I might could fool them with the pellets.

Pour on ivermectrin has worked good for me, so i guess if its not broke don't fix it, I was just wondering about the success of this product.

~~

I use the Safeguard paste at least once a year.
No withdrawal time and I know exactly how much EACH animal is getting. Simple, effective and affordable.

I do the pour on in the fall.

Like to switch up on my wormers incase them parasites are building up immunity to them.

With pellets you don't know for sure if your cows are getting the proper amount unless you feed each one separately.

I agree with the eas of just pouring it on. I do use their blocks in the middle of summer. Usually have to buy one more than really necessary. I think they will run about 8 1200 lb cows or close to. Never seem to have 8 or 16 in a patch. The pour on is best. Just cake them on the ground and momma walks behind out of kicking distance and slings the stuff on. Works well. Don't have to pen to worm.

Scotty":1t5sa63b said:
I agree with the eas of just pouring it on. I do use their blocks in the middle of summer. Usually have to buy one more than really necessary. I think they will run about 8 1200 lb cows or close to. Never seem to have 8 or 16 in a patch. The pour on is best. Just cake them on the ground and momma walks behind out of kicking distance and slings the stuff on. Works well. Don't have to pen to worm.
I've never used the slinging technique. The dang stuff costs to much to waste.It's supposed to be poured from the back of the neck, to the base of the tail.

Crowderfarms":57jdkzcj said:
Scotty":57jdkzcj said:
I've never used the slinging technique. The dang stuff costs to much to waste.It's supposed to be poured from the back of the neck, to the base of the tail.

If it is on their skin and gos in and is effective, how did I waste it? To each their own right.

Crowderfarms":m8dbbbes said:
Scotty":m8dbbbes said:

All but one of mine will allow me to walk beside them and pour it on them as they eat a little treat. That one will always sidle away, or walk off a few yards.

Scotty":1tc4mhtg said:
Crowderfarms":1tc4mhtg said:
Scotty":1tc4mhtg said:

If it is on their skin and gos in and is effective, how did I waste it? To each their own right.

I've wondered about that myself. The directions say to pour along backbone from neck to tailhead but is that because it absorbs better or just keeps them from licking it?

I tried slinging .. too inaccurate and no distance. Then tried a syringe without needle like a squirt gun. I learned that a baby medicine syringe is best. The plunger has only one rubber gasket sandwiched between two plastic heads. The solvent for the pour on doesnt degrade the gasket like a large human medical syringe.

The problem is that the 10 ml capcity needs to be refilled and used a few times per head.

Might try a good toy squirt gun or turkey baster next application.

I use the pour on most of the time and have had the applicator stop wroking, and you may want to try this, I did find it to work well for me. I used a dishwashing liquid bottle. Just another thought, and it does work well.

I wormed with Safeguard last fall. Had 2 cows that I thought was doing a little poorly, took sample in , had tested, came back 0 on both samples, but 1 showed 2 coccidia. On same thought, have any of you used Diatomaceous Earth to worm with?

I tried syrenges and the plunger mest up on me. I measure the stuff out and use a coke bottle. Your all right about the price. So I do take precautions. Low wind and do not chase the cow around to get it done. I or momma only do the ones that are not ready for it or cant see us. Remember, inch or two out of kicking diastance. After you hit them with it they are going to move somewere.

Guy I worked for in college ran them in the chute and had us use a garden type hand pump sprayer and we just sprayed it on the backs.
I've been thinking I could cube my cows and calves and then just spray them while they eat the cubes.

agcntry":3i9ju2pd said:
Guy I worked for in college ran them in the chute and had us use a garden type hand pump sprayer and we just sprayed it on the backs.
I've been thinking I could cube my cows and calves and then just spray them while they eat the cubes.
How would the correct dosage ever be given with a garden sprayer??

Latest posts