Safeguard Paste

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
Around what would it cost to worm 60 cows with the safeguard paste ? Is there a generic that's just as good . I'm interested in getting away from the pour on to Tim/South

I had to go out to the truck and get a tube.
A tube will treat 12,760 pounds of cattle. It has 58 clicks, each click treats 220 pounds of animal.
Depending on the size of the cows, it would take around 5 tubes of paste. 60 cows weighing one thousand pounds average would be 4.5 clicks per cow. Since I can not do half clicks then they would either get a dose for 880 lbs. or 1,100 lbs.
I pay $46 per tube from the local feed store. 5 tubes casts me $230.

BobbyLummus1":3fp7jirx said:
Around what would it cost to worm 60 cows with the safeguard paste ? Is there a generic that's just as good . I'm interested in getting away from the pour on to Tim/South
Just look for the active ingredient Fenbendazole then compare the concentration of the active ingredient. Seems no matter what wormer you use the cost always seems to come out between $3-4 per head unless you can find some of this extremely cheap generic pour-on.

All the 'white dewormers' - the benzimidazoles, of which fenbendazole(Panacur/Safeguard) is a member - have to be given orally. No pour-ons in this class.
I'm unaware that anyone makes a 'generic' fenbendazole product for use in cattle. There may be one, but I don't know about it.

'Pour-ons' may be quick and easy, but they're a P-poor method of deworming.

We use panacur. It's used with a gun kind of deal with a metal J shaped tube that you hook into their mouth and squirt the stuff.

branguscowgirl":3golsucx said:
Do you guys think that paste or drenching is as effective as tubing?
As long as they swallow it, it should be the same.

I've used it once and like it I used the straight nozzle and went in corner of mouth and only had a couple that spit it out. It was most likely applicator error

M5farm":3mmpnkyb said:
I've used it once and like it I used the straight nozzle and went in corner of mouth and only had a couple that spit it out. It was most likely applicator error
Liquid or paste?

Liquid, I just stuck it in the left so d e of mouth up to to gun and squeezed. The ones that spit it out we're fighting the head catch. I will have a pair of nose tongs before I work them in March.

dun":2jcm76x8 said:
We use panacur. It's used with a gun kind of deal with a metal J shaped tube that you hook into their mouth and squirt the stuff.
Same here. My hook that goes on the end of the tube must be an older style. It has a green base made of hard plastic. I was helping a friend and his has a softer black rubber base and it stays on better than mine. I am going to upgrade if I can find one like his.

Latest posts