Anyone tried Safeguard Range Cubes dewormer

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":1n7hv2z0 said:
Caustic Burno":1n7hv2z0 said:
Wasn't impressed with the blocks waste of money IMO
Got to do my research I alternate between injectable and pour on.

I got a nice 40 dollar block just sitting that I bought 2 weeks ago the only thing working on the block is the rain the cattle wont touch it. I poured corn on it to try to get them to lick it and they got the corn off and barely touched the block. I won't buy one again. When you say range cubes dewormer do you mean the pellets the size of sweet feed pellets or those huge pellets like 2-3 inches long and 1 inch thick? I will be buying the bags and probably just feed in groups and mix it with corn or sweet feed they will eat them then.

Sky I swear you have the pickiest cows I've ever heard of. Won't eat range cubes, won't like wormer block, I'd cull the whole bunch I tell you.

skyhightree1":3tpm82h4 said:
TexasBred":3tpm82h4 said:
sky it's the big 3/4 inch cubes.....as for the blocks...you're suppose to removed any and all sources of salt when putting those out. I guess the need for salt entices them to lick the blocks.

I haven't seen those here I was just gonna get the bags with the lil pellets. My cattle have no access to salt for about 2 months now and I put the block in and they won't touch it. Even with salt blocks they don't lick them all that much. I may look online and see if I can order those cubes.

Thanks CB I just recently discovered the cubes didn't know they have wormer cubes we have very lil cattle stuff here.

I don't use them for cows but I have fed to Bulls from time to time. All of mine love the beef pellets so I just mix the small ones in with some pellets and they'll inhale them.

I use the cubes for my cows. I usually feed the a few bags of regular cubes starting about 2 weeks before I feed the safe guard cubes. My cows eat them just as well as regular cubes. A couple weeks later they slick off nice . Coat gets shiny .

wacocowboy":3p0za426 said:
The few times I have used Safe Guard I used the blocks. They all get a turn and lick them up and have them gone in a few days. The thing I worry about with the cube or pellets is some cows are pigs and will eat a lot more than some of the other cows and calves.

I had the same worry with the bloatguard blocks. I guess it worked out ok tho.

I've used the Safeguard small pellets and mineral but not the blocks or cubes. With small pellets, I put out some sweet feed and just top-dressed it with the pellets. The girls cleaned it up quickly. These were all mature dry cows so nobody was really hanging back at the trough. I can see where regulating consumption could be a problem in a mixed group. Prior to putting out the mineral, I let them go several days without any mineral or salt so they would get after it once it was in the feeder, which they did. The mineral was used on a small group of cows with 400 pound calves on them. We were please with the results. Normally, we alternate with Safeguard and a pour on.

Safeguard Dewormer Cube is a 20% all natural ¾" protein cube which is medicated with Safeguard® (Fenbendazole) cattle de-wormer. This cube provides an easy and convenient way to de-worm your herd. Four pounds of the MFM Safeguard™ Cube will de-worm a 1000# cow.

Safe-Guard®
Cattle Dewormer Cubes 0.125%
Medicated
A Dewormer for Beef Cattle on Pasture and Lactating and Non-Lactating Dairy Cattle
For the removal and control of: Lungworms (Dictyocaulus viviparous); barberpole worms (Haemonchus contortus);
brown stomach worms (Ostertagia ostertagi); small stomach worms (Trichostrongylus Trichostrongylus axei);
hookworms (Bunostomum phlebotomum); thread-necked intestinal worms (Nematodirus helvetianus); small intestinal
worms (Cooperia punctata and Cooperia oncophora); bankrupt worms (Trichostrongylus colubriformis); and
nodular worms (Oesophagostomum radiatum).
ACTIVE DRUG INGREDIENT
Fenbendazole..................................................................... 0.125%
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein, Min....................20.00% Phosphorus, Min .....................0.60%
Crude Fat, Min............................2.50% Salt, Min ..................................0.50%
Crude Fiber, Max......................13.00% Salt, Max .................................1.00%
Acid Detergent Fiber, Max........15.00% Potassium, Min........................1.00%
Calcium, Min...............................1.50% Selenium, Min (ppm)..................0.20
Calcium, Max..............................2.50% Vitamin A, Min (IU/LB)............10,000
INGREDIENTS
stacks_image_417_1.png

Processed grain by-products, plant protein products, grain products, forage products, cane molasses, calcium carbonate,
salt, vitamin A acetate, D-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), vitamin E supplement, sodium
selenite, manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, cobalt carbonate.
FEEDING DIRECTIONS
For a one day treatment, feed 1.0 pound per 250 pounds of body weight. (Example: 1,000 lb. cow, feed 4 lbs.)
This will provide 2.27 mg of fenbendazole per pound of body weight. Feed only for one day. No prior withdrawl of
feed or water is necessary. Under conditions of continued exposure to parasites, retreatment may be needed after
4-6 weeks. Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment and control of parasitism.
WARNING: Feed as the sole ration for one day. Do not use within 13 days of slaughter.
Manufactured By:
MARTINDALE FEED MILL
(a division of Alan Ritchey, Inc.)
Valley View, Texas 76272
Net Weight 50 lbs. (22.68 kg)
*Safe-Guard® is a registered trademark of Hoecht-Roussel Agri-Vet Company

Producers Co-op in Bryan Tx also has them listed but their instructions say 1lb of cubes/500lbs body weight.
http://www.producerscooperative.com/pro ... beef/cubes

wacocowboy":7ryxzsfs said:
Sky do you have a Tractor Supply they carry all of the Safe Guards or at least the one in Waco use to.

Ours hear have the lil bag of pellets then I guess the 10lb bag and the blocks and that's pretty much it.

Deepsouth":7ryxzsfs said:
skyhightree1":7ryxzsfs said:
Caustic Burno":7ryxzsfs said:
Wasn't impressed with the blocks waste of money IMO
Got to do my research I alternate between injectable and pour on.
I got a nice 40 dollar block just sitting that I bought 2 weeks ago the only thing working on the block is the rain the cattle wont touch it. I poured corn on it to try to get them to lick it and they got the corn off and barely touched the block. I won't buy one again. When you say range cubes dewormer do you mean the pellets the size of sweet feed pellets or those huge pellets like 2-3 inches long and 1 inch thick? I will be buying the bags and probably just feed in groups and mix it with corn or sweet feed they will eat them then.

Sky I swear you have the pickiest cows I've ever heard of. Won't eat range cubes, won't like wormer block, I'd cull the whole bunch I tell you.

:lol2: I don't know why they don't like that stuff but im sure they will eat the pellets or the mineral with wormer.. I am going to look online and see if I can find anything local or just order offline.

fitz":7ryxzsfs said:
skyhightree1":7ryxzsfs said:
TexasBred":7ryxzsfs said:
sky it's the big 3/4 inch cubes.....as for the blocks...you're suppose to removed any and all sources of salt when putting those out. I guess the need for salt entices them to lick the blocks.

I haven't seen those here I was just gonna get the bags with the lil pellets. My cattle have no access to salt for about 2 months now and I put the block in and they won't touch it. Even with salt blocks they don't lick them all that much. I may look online and see if I can order those cubes.

Thanks CB I just recently discovered the cubes didn't know they have wormer cubes we have very lil cattle stuff here.

I don't use them for cows but I have fed to Bulls from time to time. All of mine love the beef pellets so I just mix the small ones in with some pellets and they'll inhale them.

Exactly mine every morning are waiting for their daily treat of sweet feed commodity pellets and corn all I gotta do is get some pellets and mix them in they will inhale it just like you said. I would try the kind you put on the feed as well.

That is an interesting spotted cow you have there almost like a calico cat. The thing I don't like about those blocks is the dang cardboard stuck in it.

CB mine started eating the block after I used a hatchet to chip it off in the bunk feeders they saw me there and saw what I chipped out and ate it like crazy then they licked the block some. If you feed in a bunk feeder put it in there and chip some.

ResizedImage_1429967919321_zps8fc9be30.jpg

ResizedImage_1429967918877_zps616424c7.jpg

TexasBred":3vywzcai said:
Caustic Burno":3vywzcai said:
The cubes are available here now I am convinced they will work.
Just hate to drop 50 bucks a bag that is good for ten head and they walk off.
The cubes will work. Just feed per instructions...Lone Star Farm Products use to make them over in your area. Probably still do. Use to know a few feed stores that kept a wash tub full of them in their show room....just weigh out what you wanted and go....or you could buy an entire bag if you needed them.
I found some locally--Lone Star brand. They are not cheap--$44/50lb bag. Thinking about trying them. Label says feed 4lbs per 1000 lb animal weight.
I currently have 36 head total, which includes:

1 bull about 1600-1700lbs.
7 heifers about 700-800 lbs.
9 calves under 6 months old--most under 2 months and still sucking and probably won't eat cubes.
5 calves and yearlings around 500 lbs
14 cows avg 1100-1200 lbs. (guessing there)

How many 50 lb bags to buy and exactly how are ya supposed to feed these?--surely not just pour 'em out in a long line and hope everybody gets their share?

If I have to feed each one individually, I don't see where the convenience would be much better than running each thru a chute and inject, drench or pour on...or for that matter, use the safeguard feed dressing pellets.

What am I not understanding about this?

really its free choice..put it out and hope they get what they need. really no way to regulate the intake. i use the blocks in fall and inj in spring....or rotate yrly

greybeard":1pgxez0y said:
I found some locally--Lone Star brand. They are not cheap--$44/50lb bag. Thinking about trying them. Label says feed 4lbs per 1000 lb animal weight.
I currently have 36 head total, which includes:

1 bull about 1600-1700lbs.
7 heifers about 700-800 lbs.
9 calves under 6 months old--most under 2 months and still sucking and probably won't eat cubes.
5 calves and yearlings around 500 lbs
14 cows avg 1100-1200 lbs. (guessing there)

How many 50 lb bags to buy and exactly how are ya supposed to feed these?--surely not just pour 'em out in a long line and hope everybody gets their share?

If I have to feed each one individually, I don't see where the convenience would be much better than running each thru a chute and inject, drench or pour on...or for that matter, use the safeguard feed dressing pellets.

What am I not understanding about this?

Yessir....you might try to do a quick calculation on total weight of the herd and then weigh out or guess as close as you can to what they need and then just pour them out. they'll all get enough. Some will get a few more but probably will need them. Any left overs mash them up and put them out by the deer feeder (if it ever quits raining). ;-)

So basically you'd need 3 bags. Make sure you space out the troughs/tubs/feed containers/piles so everyone has a chance at getting their share.
Aprille

Will these help with flies also. I have sprayed the cows twice this year. Raining every other day seems to negate the diesel and permethrin.

papavillars":2lw5obvl said:
Will these help with flies also. I have sprayed the cows twice this year. Raining every other day seems to negate the diesel and permethrin.
No sir...worms only. Flies are already terrible around here too.....not to even mention the millions of mosquitoes.

We used the blocks last fall and early this spring. Used 1 block per 8 head. This is the best the cows have ever looked coming out of the winter.

Old thread but you answered my curiosity denvermartinfarms. Using the block for the first time and didn't know if I was supposed to cut the sides. I guess the baffles and sides help slow their intake. Thank you so much for posting these pics.
Frank in Humble, Texas

Latest posts