Selenium guidelines anyone?

Help Support CattleToday:

I worded that wrong. Govt dictates how much SE is allowed in a product to produce a daily intake of 3mg being sold to the public. Mine was for a daily intake of 9mg - on purpose based on my herd being tested by Cornell Univ. The US does NOT regulate HOW MUCH YOU FEED (or inject) YOUR CATTLE of SE. They only regulate what is produced for public purchase.

I worded that wrong. Govt dictates how much SE is allowed in a product to produce a daily intake of 3mg being sold to the public. Mine was for a daily intake of 9mg - on purpose based on my herd being tested by Cornell Univ. The US does NOT regulate HOW MUCH YOU FEED (or inject) YOUR CATTLE of SE. They only regulate what is produced for public purchase.
Appears to be the same north of the medicine line.

Can you post a tag? With all the wording. Not just the specs. I'm guessing they labeled for intake 1/3 of what they actually eat so you get 9mg but the tag say max 3?

Heck no. This was many years ago. Can't hardly get Cornell to answer their phone anymore. We kept upping the amount of SE, after testing levels in cattle. I gave many talks about SE deficiency in NY. I know what we were feeding. 9mg/4oz mineral per hd/day - under the recommendation of Cornell Univ. and their vets.
It doesn't make any difference what I feed. Point is - you can feed any amount you want to your OWN cattle. Businesses cannot SELL a ready made product to the public with more than 3mg per feeding.

Latest posts