Safe internal temp for cooking pork?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I googled it and the answers are all over the board, anywhere from 145 to 175 degrees internal met tempeture. I'm hoping to make some smoked pork sausage that I can eat cold on a cracker with cheese, meaning so I don't have to cook it before the cracker and after the smoke.

Any safe answer? You will not be held responsible! :roll:

You can safely knock several degrees off what the USDA says is safe and be fine. They are splitting hairs and covering their behinds. It also makes a big difference on what cut you are cooking. Carry a loin to 165 and you have one tough piece of meat, carry it to 145-150 and you have a tender piece of meat fit to eat.

Jogeephus":26q7390a said:
You can safely knock several degrees off what the USDA says is safe and be fine. They are splitting hairs and covering their behinds. It also makes a big difference on what cut you are cooking. Carry a loin to 165 and you have one tough piece of meat, carry it to 145-150 and you have a tender piece of meat fit to eat.
And for his sausage?

hooknline":3vq6pcg8 said:
Jogeephus":3vq6pcg8 said:
And for his sausage?
160!

hooknline":2xx3l5lu said:
Jogeephus":2xx3l5lu said:
And for his sausage?

It depends on what type he is making but I happen to know and in this case 152F is fine.

Got to agree with you jo , cooked a big pork roast on the rotisery for xmass dinner. It looked good from outside so I checked temp155 wife said leave it so of coarse I took it out. It came out perfect, all white inside and just as tender and moist as it gets . :)

Years ago I took the food safety course required by Texas and found that 145 was the safe temp for pork. I've been eating my loin cuts there or a little above ever since.

I agree Slick.

You can really ruin some meat by over-cooking it can't you? My wife used to cook the worst pork loin known to man. It was definitely safe because at the temperature she carried it to no form of life could ever live in this sterile environment and as an RN she was very concerned about food borne illnesses so she was a strong advocate of the USDA's one size fits all temperature recommendations - and people wonder why hospital food tastes so bad.

But once I explained that health agencies in other countries had lower temperature requirements she began to understand that we often dumb things down for our populace. We don't expect people to think and assume they didn't learn anything in biology or microbiology. These figures are written by people like my ex-sister-in-law. PhD in food and nutrition. Authored several textbooks used in colleges today. Very accomplished academic but a tremendously horrid cook who didn't know you needed to pull the bag of giblets out of the turkey prior to heat blasting the poor bird until it resembled shoe leather. What a waste of a bird.

If you believe in science and microbiology, then you would agree that trichinella is destroyed at 138˚F. Then at 150F, listeria, cyclospora, campylobacter, e-coli, salmonella, staphylococcus and clostridium and a host of others are destroyed keeping in mind these pathogens will only be on the surface of whole cut meats like loins if the meat was treated in a half way sanitary manner prior to cooking. Of course Alan is smoking sausage using minced meat stuffed in a casing and will be cooked slowly at a low temperature. I suspect he has added somewhere around 2-3% salt in his mix which impedes the growth of the above pathogens. However, the cased mince and the smoke makes for a low oxygen environment that is suitable for the growth of botulism that can withstand temperatures up to 250F and is the most lethal substance known to man. To protect against this, I suspect, assuming he doesn't have a death wish, he has used some nitrite which is the only thing outside of pelting the sausages with gamma rays that can protect against this deadly substance.

So 160F is safe but why back over the cat when you've already run over it once? You just have to use some common sense and good hygiene. Oh, and my wife now makes a pork loin that is simply incredible.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I cook my pork to approx. 145 deg. in good light it will be a pink hue to it

Back when I used to hang around a sausage forum I found that the safe temps in Great Britain were lower than what is recommended here. I think some of those guys were equally surprised to learn that our recommended safe temps were as high as they were.

With it bein sausage and ground and exposed to more air and more potential bacteria, I always figured 160 on sausages. It's not as if it gets tougher, or noticeably drier at that temp.
Loins are 135-150, chops 150-160(flavor preference) roasts 150...etc.
what Jo says makes some sense too

Jo, as you know, your assumptions in both cases are correct. The sausage had both salt and cure #1 (nitrite) mixed in. When I pulled the sausage from the smoker the int temp was 154, I suspect it went up a couple of degrees higher by the time I got it in the ice bath. Haven't tried any yet, but my son will sample some this morning, if he's not sick by tomorrow I'll have some.

Just kidding we'll both have some for lunch today.

Thanks for all the replies and Jo thanks again for your help!

Alan

M5, I don't see this as any dogfight just sharing some facts and each can take it or leave it. Of course, if you are cooking for the public you best do what the food police tell you to else you might risk being found negligent if someone gets sick. For home cooking, science bears out that you can safely cook to lower temperatures than what are published the exception being poultry since all poultry has campylobacter on it and there is no benefit in pulling it sooner only risk.

Keep in mind when you pull your loin from the oven at 145 its going to continue to cook another 5-10F on its own as it rests. I think understanding these things is important. Same with Alan's sausages. If he were to pull them at 152 they will be higher than this by the time he follows the second step of the procedure. Its also important to understand that when smoking something you are applying a slow steady heat that give a more thorough heat penetration than a high heat.

Hook, in smoked sausages there is actually a difference. The texture will begin to change. Become more crumbly and grainy. This is different than fresh sausage. Fresh sausage has been treated completely different. Its nitrite free and like you say it is minced meat which may have been sitting in a cooler for days allowing for a large loads of pathogens to grow so cooking it to 160F would be prudent just to be sure it all is cooked past the 150F mark. But if its homemade fresh sausage made and cooked the same day then you are dealing with another animal altogether. Fresh sausages are best steeped in beer till the internal temp gets to around 160F then the casing charred on the grill to give it a nice crisp bite. When done this way you are not compromising any taste or texture.

IMO, the key is understanding these relationships and their interactions on how they influence things as you prepare something. Not understanding this can make the difference between making a good sausage and a great sausage.

Alan":1lcjqhn4 said:
Haven't tried any yet, but my son will sample some this morning, if he's not sick by tomorrow I'll have some.

If he comes down with the bloody scours I'm not responsible since by nature I am irresponsible.

Jogeephus":1lwuvjdx said:
Alan":1lwuvjdx said:
Haven't tried any yet, but my son will sample some this morning, if he's not sick by tomorrow I'll have some.

If he comes down with the bloody scours I'm not responsible since by nature I am irresponsible.
gotto love it happy hollidays

Latest posts