S U V Decision

Help Support CattleToday:

I have two Honda Cr-v's a 1998 model AWD with 245K and a 2014 model AWD and I highly recommend them. They get good gas milage, easy to get in and out of, and drive good.
Here is the 1998 model with 245k
r4pr.jpg

Here is the 2014
2014-honda-cr-v-ex-l-awd.jpg

I would get a toyota rav 4 out of all of them my sis had one and shes hard on it. Toyota makes a good solid product that last a while however if you use 87 your o2 sensors will be turning your check engine light on but does not hurt the performance. I also like nissan pathfinders too. Honda had a valve problem in their earlier crv's if not mistaken I think it was cylinder 1 valves would go bad and you loose alot of compression and have to have the heads rebuilt on the 4 cyl models.Don't ask how I found out just trust me. I have no experience with Subaru. My wife has an explorer in which I love Ford but realistically they can't touch a toyota suv.

My daughter has a 1999 Honda CRV model with over 163,000 miles on it.. still going strong. You cant go wrong with the Honda CRV or the Toyota RAV4. Both are great vehicles

skyhightree1":3byrond2 said:
jl what size motor do you have in that earlier model?
The 1998 CRV has a 2.0 cubic inch motor that gets 28-30 mpg most times when I check it. It has plenty of power for me, but some people would complain. The 2014 CRV has a 2.4 cu. inch motor and has more power, but so far getting 25-26 mpg.

JW IN VA":q2qk539j said:
Mrs. is buying and she doesn't like the Ford, Chev, or Jeep models.Plus,she drives a Toyota Camry and had Mazda 3.

Look at the KIA - Ive ridden in on and they are nice and the warranty is excellent. I daughter bought a 2013 kia car used and it is nice.

They are built in GA. I hear goodthings about Hyundai and they are built In AL.

jltrent":1fgqwyah said:
skyhightree1":1fgqwyah said:
The 1998 CRV has a 2.0 cubic inch motor that gets 28-30 mpg most times when I check it. It has plenty of power for me, but some people would complain. The 2014 CRV has a 2.4 cu. inch motor and has more power, but so far getting 25-26 mpg.

you are a lucky man because the valves I know in older ones were horrible and tended to burn up.

skyhightree1":30ffzbyb said:
jltrent":30ffzbyb said:
skyhightree1":30ffzbyb said:

you are a lucky man because the valves I know in older ones were horrible and tended to burn up.
All that ever has been done to it is the timing belt/water pump changed twice as required. It burns no oil and still runs like it always has. I have never heard of the valve problem before. It has 245k and still used as a daily driver.

My daughter just bought a new RAV4 with the diesel motor. It is only a month old so can't report much but she is very happy with it, very frugal on fuel, around the 5l/100km but I guess that figure doesn't mean much to you guys still on the mpg but it is good.
We are Toyota fans but in those small SUV's the RAV4 diesel was the only one she could get in a manual transmission version and even then she had to order it and got it straight off the boat. She wanted a manual as the grandkids will be learning to drive in it and we want them to get a full licence and not restricted to automatics.
Ken

Thats great jltrent. I especially like the gas mileage for it being a small suv. Oh yea it has been a major problem of them google crv valve problems. My sister had one that it did as well. I know alot of these vehicle problems because when my business went and took a nose dive and when starting out I repaired vehicles at night and on the side for a few years and actually still do it on some of my friends vehicles to save them $.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2795822

skyhightree1":1k9watt1 said:
Whats funny is he did not mention a american brand LOL The man knows where to get longevity at.

Don't know about that. My little ford escape I drive to work has 185k miles with very few problems and still gets my butt to work six days a week.

hillbilly beef man":2x3tykg1 said:
skyhightree1":2x3tykg1 said:
Whats funny is he did not mention a american brand LOL The man knows where to get longevity at.

Don't know about that. My little ford escape I drive to work has 185k miles with very few problems and still gets my butt to work six days a week.

oh no doubt they can put miles on them but imo its hard for a well know quality foreign car to get outlasted by american cars. I am not saying it doesnt happen its just rare. I have a ford ranger with over 400k miles on it that is still going because I maintained it well just changed clutches in it and other maint stuff. Foreign cars allow for a lil more abuse and non maintenence except when it comes to interference motors cause if that timing belt snaps you may as well get a new engine and drop it in.

skyhightree1":s60vx8jc said:
Thats great jltrent. I especially like the gas mileage for it being a small suv. Oh yea it has been a major problem of them google crv valve problems. My sister had one that it did as well. I know alot of these vehicle problems because when my business went and took a nose dive and when starting out I repaired vehicles at night and on the side for a few years and actually still do it on some of my friends vehicles to save them $.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2795822
Thanks for the heads up as that does look like a problem. The one I have has never had the valves adjusted and still idles perfect as I let it idle 45 minutes a couple times a week with the AC on with my one year granddaughter (babysitter drops off then)waiting at the school to pick up my two grandsons as they get out of school. I had hope to get 300k out of it as I have had two Accords with 300k plus on them, but if much was to happen to it probably will not be worth fixing with the high milage. I must have gotten a good one.

You must have gotten the best valves they had I can tell you that . Heck motor goes id drop another in for a grand keep rolling no car payment or decreased checking.

Don't know what a crossover is, but I love my Suburban. Well, both of them. Still have the 2004, first one we bought and have converted it to 100% farm use. Have a near new one, an LTZ with all the extras and we love it.

Latest posts