S$ Montana Silver bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
We bought a Montana Silver-sired bull yesterday, 21 months old, polled and quiet. We didnt have to pay much for him and are very pleased with him. I can't find a picture of Montana Silver anywhere on the net - can anyone direct me to one? Will post a pic of our bull when I catch up with him again, he's already been turned out.
Thankyou!

194d27da70e96f5eae7ecbbcaa23f36e.jpg
[/url][/img]

Are you talking about this bull?

S$ MONTANA SILVER

Yep, that's the one.......many thanks for finding the photo, I couldnt locate one anywhere, much appreciated! This bull we bought is our first Montana Silver blood. We're also a bit interested in EC No Doubt. Is he a well regarded bull over there?

jilleroo":38ywfbjl said:
Yep, that's the one.......many thanks for finding the photo, I couldnt locate one anywhere, much appreciated! This bull we bought is our first Montana Silver blood. We're also a bit interested in EC No Doubt. Is he a well regarded bull over there?

No Doubt is a good bull. He isn't used as much as his sire, Grid Maker 104.

Hot bulls here now are:
Cooley Royce
BHD Reality
CJC Mr President
M6 New Standard
LT Ledger
TR Mr FireWater

These bulls are pretty maternal...

You seemed to have a good knowledge of chars what bull would you AI with hoping for a bull off spring.

If you are talking about what is winning in the show ring some other bloodlines that are hot:
SVY Freedom
Sparrows Sanchez
In my opinion M^ New Standard will be the next big bull out of M6.
Another bloodline that is very strong maternally and has worked around the world is LHD Mr. Perfect (Cigar is just one son, SR/NC Field Rep is another)
For a breeder that has good terminal capability look at the Effertz Key Ranch bull Ten-acious: http://www.effertzkeyranch.com/sires/ke ... us166s.htm
Note that for a herd bull to make it as a herd sire in the Charolais breed he has to be out of a very good cow or else he is breeding commercial cows. For a more comprehensive look at what is available in the U.S. look at the Journal: http://issuu.com/edje/docs/maycharolais ... =%23222222.
Some more AI bulls from semex: http://www.semex.com/di/beef/i?lang=en& ... =&breed=CH

Thanks for your response. I was thinking of adding a few reg chars to AI with hopes of selling bulls. Chars are by far most popular bull in my area. If you get a chance look at the mid tn charloais website and there up coming sale list. Let me know what stands out as a possible solid momma cow. Thanks

midtncattle":38vnq8h3 said:
You seemed to have a good knowledge of chars what bull would you AI with hoping for a bull off spring.

A lot of people in your area are using these bulls

Cooley Royce
BHD Reality
LT Ledger

If you are shooting for bulls, I'd go with the Reality bull... They are easy calvers, grow fast, thick and stylish... I've been using him a lot this last fall and Just bred a set of heifers to him...

midtncattle":1dn7bhgm said:
Thanks for your response. I was thinking of adding a few reg chars to AI with hopes of selling bulls. Chars are by far most popular bull in my area. If you get a chance look at the mid tn charloais website and there up coming sale list. Let me know what stands out as a possible solid momma cow. Thanks

1,2,3,28-31,33,38-48,50-51

Lot 1 and 2 will sell pretty high...

I clipped the cattle that are cosigned by Rick Evans... The lot 41 Grid Maker cow is pretty nice. I just bought a half sister to lot 42. The 908 cow she is out of is really nice.

The lots 28-31 will be out of the same bull as Reality is out of.

Lot 33 is really nice... I clipped that heifer when she sold the first time. She is open. But really nice. She will probably sell pretty high.

Lot 54 isn't top of the line pedigree. The 497 bull that she is out of was really good and the Perfect Bud 88 cow on the bottom side will have tons of milk.

There were two really nice No Doubt sons at that sale we went to and they sold cheap, one bid, not many ppl there and those that were didnt appreciate their breeding. I wanted to grab at least one of them but hubby put the brakes on, he's more interested in putting more quality high-char content generation- bred charbray bulls into our herd at the moment. We always have pure char bulls and charb bulls as well - it's hard to find charb bulls of high enough quality, they're few and far between. I just thought that the No Doubt bulls at a cheap price were hard to go past. The Montana Silver bloke was too nice to let go to someone who didnt appreciate him!

Deen, I just went on and had a look at that Mid-Tenn sale catalogue too. So what sort of money would you be expecting those 18 month old bulls to make, just out of interest? And the females?

jilleroo":5nruzgq6 said:
Deen, I just went on and had a look at that Mid-Tenn sale catalogue too. So what sort of money would you be expecting those 18 month old bulls to make, just out of interest? And the females?

I didn't see any bulls in the sale.. I haven't look at their website to see if they are selling bulls.. I've just been looking through the females.

I expect these cattle to sell well.

Open heifers $2000 -$6000 depending on pedigree
Bred cows $2000 - $3500
Pairs $3000
2 Donor cows $4000 -$6000

This is just what these type of cattle have been bringing the past few sales... It all depends on pedigree. There are some really nice cows that will have really nice calves in there.

I expect the DeBruycker genetics (Cigar, President, Reality, Illusion) cattle to sell really well. People in the South East U.S. have really liked those type of cattle lately....

Jillaroo,

Some background on S$ Montana Silver:
Duane Nichols bought S$ Montana Silver in Montana because Duane likes unique but right breeding. At the time $ Montana Silver was just another calving ease herdsire prospect. The bull quickly made many friends due to his ability to pass on his calving ease, put out good doing daughters all with above average growth. LT ranches was impressed enough to buy a share in the bull and the rest is history.
Another bull Duane had that had a unique pedigree was Charnich Overproof. This bull was out of Sir Sans F25 one of the best half French bulls from the mid 70's in Canada. Again not a fancy pedigree but the cattle just worked.
From what you are saying I think The Effertz Key Ranch and M6 cattle are your best bets to maintain muscle and performance. They would put out some cracking good Charbray bulls.

MidTNCattle,

If you are looking to start your own Charolais herd to sell bulls I would recommend finding some cows that are being sold at auction or private treaty in a herd dispersal. In this way you can get the best producing cows that someone would not normally part with. Also if you buy a group of say 40 head at private you can get a better price since they don't have to pay the auctioneer or sales management. Dispersal's happen all the time just be patient and you will find productive cows you can afford to raise bulls with. Just know what you can afford to spend. Remember if you can't afford to cull them, you can't afford to buy them.

Thanks,

I totally agree with your comments and thanks for your help. However, I am not looking for a large number of cattle. Just a few to play around with using AI. I do agree buying off farm is much more ideal.

I came across the bull today and had the camera for once, so took this photo to show and any opinions are welcome. I don't have to hear good things about him just because I like him, would like to hear some negative points, I'm sure there are some that are not obvious to me! We're a large commercial herd and need numbers of bulls every year so we're always on the lookout. At the moment this bull is actually not what we are favouring (red or gold charbray.)

IMG_3025_Small_.JPG

a typical cow and calf from our herd
IMG_3037_Small_.JPG

another snapshot of a few cows

IMG_3030_Small_.JPG

Latest posts