ryegrass seed price ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you drilling that much ryegrass? Is it a cover crop for tilled and harvested land?
I sometimes no till into pastures. Otherwise, it is broadcasted into tilled soil following sorghum sudangrass and teff. Also, after I finish harvesting my hay, I will harrow, then broadcast, and follow with a cultipacker into most of my hayfields. I'm fortunate enough that I can easily graze my hayfields when conditions allow, plus it really helps first cutting hay yields. I also typically add crimson clover as well as I usually add some triticale. This is going to be a light year for triticale for me.

I paid $33.75 per 50lb bag for gulf. To plant, I graze heavy , disc, than use a 50 year old JD drill with a cultipacker behind it. Its far from a cleaned plowed field but almost alwasy gives a good stand. The mixture is about 40% rye grass, 60% oats planted at about 60 lbs per acre.
I usually get some grazing and then pull them off to allow it to be baled up. Last year I got the grazing but then the rain stopped and all I had at baling time was stems and seed heads. The year before I got 2 3/4 rolls per acre.

I paid $33.75 per 50lb bag for gulf. To plant, I graze heavy , disc, than use a 50 year old JD drill with a cultipacker behind it. Its far from a cleaned plowed field but almost alwasy gives a good stand. The mixture is about 40% rye grass, 60% oats planted at about 60 lbs per acre.
I usually get some grazing and then pull them off to allow it to be baled up. Last year I got the grazing but then the rain stopped and all I had at baling time was stems and seed heads. The year before I got 2 3/4 rolls per acre.
We no till a oats, wheat, triticale grazing mix. Roundup the field couple of weeks after hay and grazing done. Crabgrass usually comes in and we graze that. Usually wait till army worms hit the neighbors to plant so we usually hay from oct through dec. bale middle of may and graze through end of may.

Attachments

• D6F9C1D0-D109-49DD-8FFF-3B6AD2191D95.jpeg
    D6F9C1D0-D109-49DD-8FFF-3B6AD2191D95.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12

Latest posts