Rye (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
I planted this about 11 days ago got a couple of rains on it and it is coming on good
barncowsandrye003.jpg

barncowsandrye004.jpg

barncowsandrye006.jpg

tried a different variety this yr used forage master instead of the coolgrazer that I have used before

Some have all the luck.....

The oats I planted a week ago started breaking the ground Sunday but I haven't been lucky to get any of the rain that has been in the area all week.

Looks good Angus! I planted the same thing Wednesday and it is up about 4 inches. I was looking at it last night and wishing I could get a good shower on it. Woke up this morning and to my amazement it was raining! Hope you got some too. I am a little east of Birch Tree. So hopefully you did.
I also mixed some Marshall Ryegrass with mine. I have never planted any Ryegrass so I really don't know what to expect.

1982vett":5g1r2zhu said:

The oats I planted a week ago started breaking the ground Sunday but I haven't been lucky to get any of the rain that has been in the area all week.

How much oat seed per acre are you using?

Kingfisher":23utxbxd said:
1982vett":23utxbxd said:

How much oat seed per acre are you using?
I skimp on the oats......75-80 lbs. Most recomendations are 100 lbs/acre or more. Sometimes I'll mix in 10 lbs of ryegrass/acre.

Since my main puropse is for grazing and not hay or seed production, I justify this approach because I also use less fertilizer and of course a less dense stand should need less rain. Also a less dense stand of oats gives the clover and ryegrass a fighting chance. Grazing in the spring is extended by about 6 weeks with the ryegrass. This years cost ran about $83/acre to plant.

MoDave":f4xxx4ek said:
Looks good Angus! I planted the same thing Wednesday and it is up about 4 inches. I was looking at it last night and wishing I could get a good shower on it. Woke up this morning and to my amazement it was raining! Hope you got some too. I am a little east of Birch Tree. So hopefully you did.
I also mixed some Marshall Ryegrass with mine. I have never planted any Ryegrass so I really don't know what to expect.
I got a couple small showers this morning
what I planted sunday is already sprouting this little shower and the sunshine should really make it pop today

Latest posts