Rye grass questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I planted by broadcast lbs of rye grass in a lightly disc field back in Sept. We got a little rain about
That time and have had little since then. I measured 1.5 inches during one event. I haven't really seen much evidence at all of any germination....:(. I even wondered if I had got some bad seed. Now that we got some more rain and even a little snow what can I expect? Should I redisc and replant or?? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":3oguh377 said:
I planted by broadcast lbs of rye grass in a lightly disc field back in Sept. We got a little rain about
That time and have had little since then. I measured 1.5 inches during one event. I haven't really seen much evidence at all of any germination....:(. I even wondered if I had got some bad seed. Now that we got some more rain and even a little snow what can I expect? Should I redisc and replant or?? Thanks in advance.

Don't know about Texas, but if that situation were here in Ky. about all anybody could do is wait till the weather warms up and see if it germinates then. Unless it is bad seed, it will be one of the first things to germinate.

I planted my ryegrass this year in early December because of no rain . I graze the pasture as short as possible and broadcast 50 lbs to the acre . 40 acres . I unrolled my hay in the pasture for my cows for 2 weeks in different spots to allow the cows to walk it in . When it started to germinate I pulled the cows out . I put out fertilizer yesterday and should be able to graze it in early February . To answer your question I've seen ryegrass grow on concrete . I've seen mice get into a bag of ryegrass and eat all the germ in a few days . It still looks like ryegrass but is just hulls . I would replant it if you have gotten rain on it and it hasn't germinated .

I am in Paige, Texas and in the same boat. I am not going to reseed. I am seeing the grass come up in some places. I hope the rain we got will do the trick. Last year we got good results.

longhorntractor":1pla3l5i said:
I am in Paige, Texas and in the same boat. I am not going to reseed. I am seeing the grass come up in some places. I hope the rain we got will do the trick. Last year we got good results.
Didn't y'all get some decent rain back in September ?

The longest it's taken to germinate here is about 14 days in mid winter but I'm unsure what soil temperature you would have had. 1.5 inches is more than enough to get it out of the ground.
I'm with hook, rye should only be planted really shallow, 1 centimetre max in metric terms.
I'm not sure there is much point trying to re-seed if its could enough to have snow but that's a question for someone closer to you.

If your main green up is in April or may it would pay to reseed once high temps get to about 65. If your growth comes on earlier, don't bother

Kingfisher":2xz6cy65 said:

September is to early for Central Texas...it germinated and died from the 90 degree temps, sun, and no moisture.

Did you have several small showers before the 1.5" rain? I'm thinking it got just enough moisture to sprout and die, I hope I'm wrong though.

I didn't start planting anything until after Thanksgiving through around the 2nd weak of December because it was so dry here, pools were as low as they were in Sept 2011. I used my old no-till drill, I still didn't have have much moisture, but I figured I better plant it before it got to wet, if we got our normal NE Texas wet winters. I got lucky I think, some sprouted pretty quick, got some rain middle of December and the Christmas snow sprouted the rest of it looks like. Now if I can keep getting some of these 70º days I'll be doing good.

We planted after the 1st of October and have had very little rain until last week. We also got very low germination, hopefully this past rain will bring it out. Luling area.

Same here. I planted on a forecast for rain back in Oct--maybe late Sept. Got just a little rain, then nothing for all of Oct-Dec. It's just now beginning to show some green in just a few places, mostly on the high mounds. (I didn't disk for the most part)
I'm pretty sure most of it germinated, then died from heat and late drought, and the only thing coming up now is what seed was left high and dry early on.
I'm not going to replant.

Kingfisher:
My brother disked deep and broadcast ryegrass and wheat in Nov right beside my place. His is looking great now--good coverage and pretty high already, so yours probably isn't a case of being buried too deep.

hooknline":2xz4wsvy said:
Got buried too deep in the disked field

That's what I was thinking. Rye grass seed really doesn't need to be covered up. I don't even disc - just broadcast it and wait for some moisture. Mine seeded out last year before I baled it but none of that seed came up this year.

Thanks for all the replies. I planted within days of some nearby farms and didn't see near the results. My observation was they had much more mature fields that were disc much deeper in some cases than my dirt. Some of the fields that did well were drilled. I think my seed failed either cuz it was bad as some suggested/moused or it rained but the soil where the seed dropPed was dry and stayed dry. That said I continued to broadcast on several dates after my initial planting trying to catch something. I even experimented with some irrigation and have seen a little bit of growth now that we added dome water! I'm going to walk a field tomorrow and see what's goinv on since the rain.

Probably be fine -- Ryegrass is a early spring to late spring grazing.... If you want good grazing throughout the winter months in your neck of the woods try Rye either in arable land (my preference) or no tilled in dormant bermuda/native grass next time

JS

JustSimmental":xoh7mryr said:
Probably be fine -- Ryegrass is a early spring to late spring grazing.... If you want good grazing throughout the winter months in your neck of the woods try Rye either in arable land (my preference) or no tilled in dormant bermuda/native grass next time

JS
I like Rye too! Its just so darn expensive. I planted some grazing rye year before last and it growed all winter almost. Its about 20+ dollars a bag. They had some regular rye for about 16, I wonder if it would be as good?
I grazed way up in the fall and started again about the 10th of March.

I don't call $20 expensive for annual (winter) ryegrass expensive--not around here. Cheapest I saw it last fall was $24 for 50lb Oregon Gulf. Perennial ryegrass is a lot more around here.
By 'Rye' I guess you're referring to cereal rye, but what is the difference between 'regular rye' and 'grazing rye'?

greybeard":1ed9qnxy said:
I don't call $20 expensive for annual (winter) ryegrass expensive--not around here. Cheapest I saw it last fall was $24 for 50lb Oregon Gulf
I found some Pennington one day at Walmart for $18 I want to say. They had a couple of pallets that seemed to go pretty fast.

. Perennial ryegrass is a lot more around here.
By 'Rye' I guess you're referring to cereal rye, but what is the difference between 'regular rye' and 'grazing rye'?
Oh boy boy here we go again. Cereal Rye , normal rye( just what the heck is normal mean? ;). From what I've seen and read on this forum coupled with my own weak at best research finds this rye grass" types identification is difficult or weekly explained or understood properly.

By the way....I planted both types........;) same results it appears. I still haven't walked these fields but I'll take what the grounds going to give me right now and move toward some sort of successful grass growing. The RedRiver crabgrass I grew us working pretty good along with some native clump grass Ive gotten some pretty good grazing I think considering the draught conditions and the over all condition of this particular pasture. I saw some irrigated pasture today near the Concho Valley that appeared to be some sort of "Bermuda looking clump grass" with some sort of rye grass mixed between it. It had a 150 heavy calfs on it that sure looked bigger than they fix 3 weeks ago!! Grass in front.....simple as that....:)

Latest posts