Rust colored watery poop in bottle calf...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fdltcwgrl

Reaction score
First if all I want to thank everyone on here for all the great info! So great to have people to ask that know their stuff!
I have a bottle calf that is about a month old. Found her out in the pasture skinny as a rail and no mother in sight.brought her in gave her colostrum and she's been doing great. Yesterday morning she only drank 1 1/2 pints then nothing that evening then didn't want to drink this am.
Gave her some ResFlor and a couple pills is there anything else I should do for her.

Electrolytes. If she won't take a bottle you'll have to tube her. What pills - Sustain boluses? Check the ingredients in your milk replacer to make sure it doesn't contain soy. I would also take her temp & consider taking her to the vet, she may also be selenium/vitamin deficient (Bo Se & Vit B Complex).

Take her to a vet....sometimes, when a calf gets dehydrated, they linger for days before signs of organ damage shows...Not sure of your timeline, was the calf a month old when you found it? Did you give it colostrum, and the next day it wont drink? BTW, once the calf is over 12 hours old, the effects of colostrum dwindle, over 24 hours its just expensive milk replacer. Next time you find a calf who has not been nursing like they should and is skinny, do not feed it milk. First feeding should be electrolytes, second feeding, electrolytes...then, introduce milk slowly.. Giving a dehydrated calf high calorie feeding, takes up valuable water in its system that is stressed to digest the meal you gave it.
If its not nursing the electrolytes, tube feed it....and get it to a vet....

Gave her electrolytes this am and she drank half a bottle at noon very bright and seems to be doing much better! Thanks for the advise!

Good to hear! Is her poo better? Keep with the electrolytes. If you gave her the Sustain III bolus it's good for 3 days (1 bolus per 50 lb). If you gave her the smaller pills you need to continue every 12 hours. I'd also give her a shot of Vitamin B Complex and like Cowgirl8 said, slooooowly start back on the milk replacer; either water it down or mix it w/electrolytes.

Doing great this am! Poo is getting more solid still not really normal color but getting there. Gave her more electrolytes with milk this morning and a shot of Vit B!
Thanks so much!

Latest posts