Runt heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I have an Angus heifer, around a year old, whose growth is stunted and isn't near the size of the others her age; she probably weighs 400lbs. She had pneumonia in the winter, if that makes any difference. I've heard some say that they have had runts to take a growth spurt after first calf. I'm not asking for financial advice. I know the best thing to do would be to sell her, but I may keep her because my kids love her, so I'm not looking to get rich from her, but just do what is best for her and know what to expect for the future. I'm just curious as to what experiences people here have had with runts.

We have sort of the opposite with a heifer calf. She didn't hit the ground at even 30 lbs. last August, and is now about caught up with where she should be for a smaller framed heifer at one year. We will keep her, I think, and see how she grows out. Can't really give you any advice on yours, as we have different situations.

No situation could make most ranchers keep a year old heifer that weighs 400. Sell her or put a leash on her and call her dog.

Isomade":y97784x7 said:
No situation could make most ranchers keep a year old heifer that weighs 400. Sell her or put a leash on her and call her dog.

What would be the typical weight of a year old Angus heifer on pasture and assuming all conditions are ideal?

It sounds like she is roughly about half the size she should be. My experience with runt calves is if they haven't started really coming out of it by weaning time, they will more than likely stay that way. If you want to try to give her some more time to see if she will grow out, I would try to keep her away from your bull in case she comes in heat. At that size, she or the bull could get hurt if he tries to breed her, and if she got bred that could be really bad if she tried to calve.

herofan":1t697npa said:
Isomade":1t697npa said:

What would be the typical weight of a year old Angus heifer on pasture and assuming all conditions are ideal?
7 to 800 lbs.

HOSS":3cqaa1ii said:
herofan":3cqaa1ii said:
Isomade":3cqaa1ii said:

7 to 800 lbs.
:nod:

Sell her to a petting zoo or advertise her as a pet. You will get more for her than if you take her to the auction. There are people who would like a tiny cow as a pet.

Maybe she is a "lowline" instead of an Angus??
Pneumonia could have had an effect on her depending on how bad it was, but I wouldn't think it would be that severe that she is half the normal size, that is why I am wondering if maybe she is Lowline instead of Angus.
A fair amount of people around here want lowline instead of a full sized cow, as the average size household has shrunk in size, and they can't eat a full sized beef.
Nite Hawk

I got a steer that is a runt. Gonna' wean him on the trailer, get $100 for him, and say goodbye. Sure ain't gonna' put any money in him. gs

Nite Hawk":1mjdgo21 said:
Maybe she is a "lowline" instead of an Angus??
Pneumonia could have had an effect on her depending on how bad it was, but I wouldn't think it would be that severe that she is half the normal size, that is why I am wondering if maybe she is Lowline instead of Angus.
A fair amount of people around here want lowline instead of a full sized cow, as the average size household has shrunk in size, and they can't eat a full sized beef.
Nite Hawk

I suppose that is a possibility. My vet did say, however, that she shows signs of stunted growth due to her head and tail being slightly out of proportion with the rest of her body.

Had one like that last year. We called him Chuck Roast and man he is sure good eating! Tastiest T-bones I ever had!

Keren":26okvma7 said:
tsmaxx47":26okvma7 said:
Bigfoot":26okvma7 said:
I would get rid og her. Possibly her mother as well.
i agree 100%

cos ... its the cows fault the calf got pneumonia?

He's posted a pic of the heifer in question before.

Defiantly wasn't just pneumonia holding this one back.... Eat her! :2cents:

Had one like that yrs ago. When I butchered her turns she had been gored in the gut.

I thought dwarf until I saw the scar.

Her damn has had 3 calves for me...all normal sized.

Latest posts