Snorty Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

I know what you mean Rafter, the Jersey in with her was a bottle baby that doesn't know he's 900 lbs now so he tries to play and rub his head on me, practically lifts me off the ground, especially if I'm not giving him the attention. The heifer in question only gets close enough that I can scratch under her chin or between her ears and eyes she seems to enjoy, if I move any closer she'll take a step back. We're trying to find that happy medium between pet but still acts like a cow.
Gobbler, what were the dispositions like of the ones that have taken runs at you, pasture pets that flipped a switch and got mean or run of the mill cows that just had an ornery side to them.
Jan, if you could convince my dad that's a good idea you'd be my friend forever. Lol. My grandpa was a kid in the Depression, nothing got tossed to the day he died and that mentality got engrained in my dad. If it was complete when it got parked then there could be a day in the future it might have to rise again.

Farmer

@Pnw Farmer for what it's worth, all my cows & bulls are hand feeders (and eventually, most of the calves) and love a good scratch. But with the exception of the bulls, they've all been born & raised on this ranch. Know your stock. And they definitely know me. I breed & retain for docility, primarily because it's just me the majority of the time. But always be aware. Cattle are prey animals and we're the predator - regardless of "pets", commercial, registered, hobby, bottle calves, etc. It's just their instinct to not let their guard down. Consistency and a calm, low stress environment go a long way towards raising "non-snorty" cattle;).

Hello all, been lurking and learning what I can for awhile now. First off, I'm a farmer that can toss hay, that's about the extent of my ranching knowledge. My wife comes from ranching on both sides of her family but they're on a commercial scale, we're gathering a few pasture pets to put together a small 4-H herd for our kids so up close with animals that like attention isn't their bread and butter. My question to the knowledgeable folks on here is this, we have a bred heifer here at home who occasionally lowers her head and acts snorty when I walk out to the corrals she's in. As soon as I start talking to her though she comes right over to get her chin scratched. She doesn't back away or swing her head around or bellow, her head just goes to about a foot off the ground and starts snorting. We got her about a month ago and she's never acted aggressive or made me feel nervous being in with her. We've got a Jersey steer in with her that we're feeding out along with a couple weaned calves, she's made herself boss cow with them but acts very mellow with myself and the family when they're near her. My curiosity with her snorting is what I wanted to pick your brains on. Defensive? Her way of greeting me? Pregnancy hormones? (3 kids and married so I know all about pickles and peanut butter cravings) Lol. Thanks in advance and I hope to keep learning more from here.

Farmer
The new mom thing could be dangerous. One of our heifer moms decided she did not want my husband any where near her newborn calf. She chased him out of the pasture twice within a couple of days of tagging attempts. She has the eagle eye on him still. Did I mention it's been 10 months. I can walk up to her and pet her on the nose. No problem. Just be careful.

This is just part of the information concerning vaccinating for brucellosis in Oregon. I have always vaccinated
heifers I planned to keep. When we were running dairy cows not all were vaccinated, but the milk is tested for
brucellosis at intervals. I know of one rancher in the area that had brucellosis in his herd of beef cows more than
once. I always viewed it as an inexpensive precaution. I was not familiar with the "mature vaccination" or the
"adult vaccination".

OFFICIAL CALFHOOD VACCINATION PROCEDURE
Official calfhood vaccination may only be performed by an accredited veterinarian on female cattle and
bison when more than 4 months of age and less than 12 months of age.

OREGON MATURE VACCINATION PROCEDURE
Oregon regulations allow healthy females of breeding age, which were not vaccinated as calves, to be
vaccinated for brucellosis after twelve months of age. The USDA does not recognize Mature Vaccination
as "official vaccination", and many states will not accept mature vaccinated cattle. Before sending
mature vaccinated cattle interstate, check with the state of destination to determine their policy on
mature vaccinates.
Note: Adult vaccination is an official USDA term and refers to vaccination of a brucellosis infected or
exposed herd. It is important to use the term "Mature Vaccination" when dealing with normal vaccination
of cattle over twelve months of age.
Don't the adults get the silver tag?

Here in Va they have phased out the silver clinch tags in the ear... and gone to buttons. Not as easy to lose and some are RFID but some are not. Many of the dairies use the "840" number... it is 15 numbers total... as their registration number now also...Holstein does... but Brown Swiss ALSO require a tattoo in the ear besides whatever number is used for registration...

Welcome to CT!
I believe Washington and Idaho require it for an animal to be sold as breeding stock, not as a slaughter animal. (Hopefully somebody who knows this topic could pitch in)
Not sure about WA or ID, but most states require cattle of breeding age to be Brucellosis tested at public sales of they are returning to the farm. Regardless if they were BANG's vacc'd or not. Cows sent to slaughter used to be tested on the line, not sure if that's still done.

Most people don't BANG's vacc because; it's not required, a vet has to do it, and the old strain 19 vaccine would react on the test. It out a bad taste in every ones mouth. Having to sell cows to slaughter that are branded S on their jaw is a sure way to make them being nothing.

Welcome to CT!

Not sure about WA or ID, but most states require cattle of breeding age to be Brucellosis tested at public sales of they are returning to the farm. Regardless if they were BANG's vacc'd or not. Cows sent to slaughter used to be tested on the line, not sure if that's still done.

Most people don't BANG's vacc because; it's not required, a vet has to do it, and the old strain 19 vaccine would react on the test. It out a bad taste in every ones mouth. Having to sell cows to slaughter that are branded S on their jaw is a sure way to make them being nothing.
I buy and sell cows in VA, TN, and KY and none of the 3 test for bangs anymore at the stockyard.

Don't the adults get the silver tag?
Mature cattle refers to cattle over 12 months of age - they get the silver tag.

Note: Adult vaccination is an official USDA term and refers to vaccination of a brucellosis infected or
exposed herd. It is important to use the term "Mature Vaccination" when dealing with normal vaccination
of cattle over twelve months of age.

I buy and sell cows in VA, TN, and KY and none of the 3 test for bangs anymore at the stockyard.
I can't remember what year they quit. They were still testing in 2010 when I quit working for the sale barn vet. They still use the steel 2 digit 3 letter 4 digit tags for traceability.
I think TX, WY, and MT are the only states left that have "problem spots" with BANGs.

I can't remember what year they quit. They were still testing in 2010 when I quit working for the sale barn vet. They still use the steel 2 digit 3 letter 4 digit tags for traceability.
I think TX, WY, and MT are the only states left that have "problem spots" with BANGs.
I used to know all the local.2 digit which was the state it was first tested. I would find cows from 6 states going through the local sales.

I used to know all the local.2 digit which was the state it was first tested. I would find cows from 6 states going through the local sales.
I have a cheat sheet from the sale barn days. I was going to start a new thread on steel tags and BANG's testing, but I left my cheat sheet at the farm.
We used to see a lot of drought cows from CO, and NE.

I have a cheat sheet from the sale barn days. I was going to start a new thread on steel tags and BANG's testing, but I left my cheat sheet at the farm.
We used to see a lot of drought cows from CO, and NE.
We had some drought cows from South Dakota one year. But lots of cows came from North Carolina and South Carolina.

When they don't bounce off you and put you up the fence you may start thinking they need a different job description. If heifer calves blow at the gate man going down the alley at weaning time the end up on the truck sooner than later.

Latest posts