Running steers with heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
We sold most of our 2007 calves after weaning in the fall. We kept two heifers as possible replacements and four steers to continue growing out and sell as yearlings. Right now they're separated from the main herd but not from each other. I've heard heifers and steers should be separated from each other after weaning, but there are only 6 total and it would be easier to keep them together. I'd like info/opinions on this. Thanks!

I have not heard such a thing. We have kept ours together without any problems. Have to edit ~ read wrong. If you are feeding those steers heavy for finishing, you need to watch weight on the heifers to make sure that they don't get too heavy. Is not good for them. That is only concern I could think that someone would have. Different feed requiremnets/needs.

You can finish them together, but if you are trying to finish the steers and raise the heifers as replacements, you need to feed them separately. A finishing diet will put too much fat on a replacement heifer, which can limit their future milk production. If the heifers are going to be on feed, it needs to be a lower energy ration than the steers are getting.

Totally depends on what your goal for end results is. If you are just growing them on full feed hay, and or some grain, they'll be fine.
Heifers & steers are seperated for a couple of reasons. 1. As mentioned, if you are pushing the steers for a finish, you may get your heifers too fat for replacements. 2. If you are pushing all of them, the steers will spend too much time riding the heifers & won't gain as well as they could.
Other than that, all's good - unless a steer isn't a "steer".

2/B or not 2/B":1d7fmtif said:
Thank you for the replies, makes me feel more at ease. They're all pretty fat, but they're just on grass.

We have the same problem that the cows get fat as pigs over the winter just eating this old poisonous high endophyte fescue. We've never had a calving problem from them being "over conditioned", calves are up and looking for groceries within 5 minutes or less.

Latest posts