Running out of water

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Anyone in North Thexas (or anywhere where with a drought) ran out of water in the stock tanks?
I got 7 tanks and only two have any water left. The cows can't get to the water; however, because of the soft mud.

I've had to pump water out of the tanks to give them. I got a 275 gal tanks and then just pipe it to a trough.

Does anyone do anything differently?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew":1f5h2evh said:
Anyone in North Thexas (or anywhere where with a drought) ran out of water in the stock tanks?
I got 7 tanks and only two have any water left. The cows can't get to the water; however, because of the soft mud.

I've had to pump water out of the tanks to give them. I got a 275 gal tanks and then just pipe it to a trough.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew

Last year I took huge poly tanks, 8 foot diameter, and put them on a G/N flat bed cinching them down. I filled both with well water, then hauled it and parked right along side the cross fence in the pasture. On the other side of the fence I had a 500 gallon trough. I would fill it each day and it took about 300 gallons to top it off.

This year I have had enough water in the stock tank. This year has not been nearly as bad as last year here.

boogie - You must have one powerful well. How deep is the average well in your area?

cfpinz

cfpinz":1yuntxyr said:
boogie - You must have one powerful well. How deep is the average well in your area?

cfpinz

Here at the house the well is 300 feet and I have 62 feet of water with plenty of lime, sulfur, and who knows what else. When you get a bath, you get squeaky clean. My water would take the grime off of an engine block :lol: :lol:

Down at the farm area most wells are 400 feet. I have never pulled the pump so I can't tell you how much water is above it. I can pump water out of the river there too but can only pump enough head to make the 2nd flood plain. I can't reach the upper pastures with river water and that is where the cows are normally kept. I could pump it in two stages but that is not worth the trouble. Too much distance and they cut public roads through the place that now have to be crossed.

Mine have not gone dry but getting close. I helped my uncle pull one of his cows out of a tank. Several others have had cows getting bogged. I hope we do not have to haul water. You want to talk about getting old in a hurry. Getting some rain right now but not much.

Andrew":3no8heym said:

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew

Your dry and all my ponds are going out the overflows and it is way to wet to plow. Amazing the difference in a couple hundred miles.

Caustic Burno":qjjpa44m said:
Andrew":qjjpa44m said:

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew

Your dry and all my ponds are going out the overflows and it is way to wet to plow. Amazing the difference in a couple hundred miles.

cattlemen plow?

" I can pump water out of the river there too but can only pump enough head to make the 2nd flood plain. I can't reach the upper pastures with river water and that is where the cows are normally kept. "

How high would you need to pump water to get it above you second flood plain? A modern one hp pump should be able to get drinkling quantities up at least 500 feet above the river.

backhoeboogie":2k2rb4ll said:
Here at the house the well is 300 feet and I have 62 feet of water with plenty of lime, sulfur, and who knows what else. When you get a bath, you get squeaky clean. My water would take the grime off of an engine block :lol: :lol:

Down at the farm area most wells are 400 feet.

Thanks. I live on top of a hill here at the base of a mountain. Some neighbors have 300'+ wells, figured mine would be at least that. They hit water at 85 feet, 15 gpm if I recall.

cfpinz

We havent nearly gotten the stock tank near dry. In fact, its above what it was over the summer. We also have a water trough near the house and a line coming from the well, which is 600ft.

[quote"]"

How high would you need to pump water to get it above you second flood plain? A modern one hp pump should be able to get drinkling quantities up at least 500 feet above the river.[/quote]

500 feet of head would require 216.5 PSI pressure. If you could get that much pressure out of a pump, there would be very little flow.

My tanks were dry also until the fall rains came. Through the summer I was lucky enough to work something out with a neighbor that dug a new tank last year which filled up last February and I built a temporary ally to it. It was a little work but it beats hauling water. The problem was that my tanks had silted-in to a shallow depth that allowed them to go dry. The answer is to clean out the old one or dig a new tank to the depth recommended by the local NRCS. Their recommended depths supprt multi-year droughts.

Both tanks here on the home place are dry. To make it worse the back tank is spring fed and the man whose daddy dug the tank thirty years ago told me it had never been dry before. My lease pasture is 30 miles east of here and the tanks are full and there's grass.Z

Seems like a bunch of you guys use tanks. Are these tanks that are set up with special wells different from what you use for your homes?

We only have Ponds for the cows and Rural Water for home.

aplusmnt":35zqtzzs said:
Seems like a bunch of you guys use tanks. Are these tanks that are set up with special wells different from what you use for your homes?

In some parts of the country a tank is a pond, some places they're called dugouts. You need to know what part of the country folks are in to know what they're referring to

dun

aplusmnt":1jyvm82m said:

Most folks in Texas call your ponds "stock tanks" or "tanks". They are all man made.

We have a few water wells with potable water. My water trough is indeed a round tank about 3 feet tall and 6 foot diameter. The tanks I put on the G/N trailer are 1000 gallon poly tanks.

Last year in the drought I intended to get my Caterpillar to the stock tank and dig it out while it was down. First time that stock tank had ever been that low. We got the 2 inch rain all at once in September and run-off was enough to stop the effort I had in mind. This year's drought wasn't severe enough to dry out the tank.

Rustler9":106to871 said:
I think they call ponds "tanks" in Texas. Correct me if I'm wrong, some of you Texas folks.

All of you responding to this are correct. Apparently a few of us were all clarifying simultaneously.

My typos are getting really bad! I keep having to edit.

backhoeboogie":1kv6b5z1 said:
Rustler9":1kv6b5z1 said:
I think they call ponds "tanks" in Texas. Correct me if I'm wrong, some of you Texas folks.

All of you responding to this are correct. Apparently a few of us were all clarifying simultaneously.

Ok if you guys call Ponds Tanks in Texas what do you call the Water Tanks that you buy at Tractor Supply?

aplusmnt":x52ui1n4 said:
backhoeboogie":x52ui1n4 said:
Rustler9":x52ui1n4 said:

Ok if you guys call Ponds Tanks in Texas what do you call the Water Tanks that you buy at Tractor Supply?

Pets water bowl.

Latest posts