Running Electricity

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ

Reaction score
What does it cost to have power run in your area?

That's the question, now here's the story.

About 30-40 years ago we had electricity at an old house on the place. Then winter weather took the line down and since no one lived in the house it was decided to not have it repaired. Son is looking at having it rerun and then in a few years maybe build him a home close by.

Guy said if it's being run to a new home 1st 750 feet is free and $3 a foot thereafter. If it's being run to the barn lot 1st 125 feet is free and $3 thereafter, but if later build a house they'll refund the $3 X 625 foot difference. We'd have to clear a 30 foot right of way (15 feet each side of the line) before they'd start.

1700 feet = $5,100

I'm thinking a generator might be the way to go for a short term fix.

Just curious what the deal is in your area.

Thanks

Not real sure how it works, but that sounds pretty reasonable to me. I think maybe the first 300' might be free (after you pay the $3000 hookup fee). My brother in law had one done, about 1200 to 1400 feet I'd say. It wound up costing him around $8000 I think.

But like I say, I don't know the particulars of how it all works.

First 300 feet is free for me. I have to pay for the next 942.7 feet and its going to be a little over $5K if I go turn key. That cost is based on me hauling the Cat back out to the farm and clearing a "line of sight" down to the point I want power.

We've done 2 hook-ups since we have been here but I don't remember the charges, sorry. We were lucky to have existing lines pretty close by to both new boxes and we are in a co-op that values agriculture so since they were both going to wells for livestock water they put us at the front of the line schedule-wise.

Pencil that out and don't forget hauling and the risk of fuel and or generator theft. I would guess getting the electric there would probably be worth it. Maybe they will let you break it into payments. If you might get some kind of refund make sure you get it on paper and note any expiration dates.

Here they ran a line 1800 feet to my new house and didn't charge anything.

Don't know how it is there.

We had 2 lines run . One to the barn and shop in 1994 did not cost anything. Then in 1998 we had one run to the working pens and vet shack.They wanted 2K. Talk to the line men. they said they could run used epuipment and save some money. Went with used and it cost less than $500.. Might want to talk to them. Hope this helps.

Don't cost a lot to have it run here, you pay later. Electricity is very expensive here. When we milked cows, our 150 cow operation's power bill was $3000.00 plus per month. :shock:

CUZ":1xoqf2x4 said:
What does it cost to have power run in your area?

That's the question, now here's the story.

About 30-40 years ago we had electricity at an old house on the place. Then winter weather took the line down and since no one lived in the house it was decided to not have it repaired. Son is looking at having it rerun and then in a few years maybe build him a home close by.

Guy said if it's being run to a new home 1st 750 feet is free and $3 a foot thereafter. If it's being run to the barn lot 1st 125 feet is free and $3 thereafter, but if later build a house they'll refund the $3 X 625 foot difference. We'd have to clear a 30 foot right of way (15 feet each side of the line) before they'd start.

1700 feet = $5,100

I'm thinking a generator might be the way to go for a short term fix.

Just curious what the deal is in your area.

Thanks

$7.00 to $7.50/foot.

Around here, they estimate two-years worth of bills, and subtract that from their estimated cost.

Most people don't have to pay much. We had the house excavator dig the trench for ours and the REMC put in the line and transformer for free.

Put it underground and trench it yourself. Call around to electricians - they very greatly in price. Some will even tell you what size wire to get and you can lay it, they'll inspect it and hook it up. The big cost is having to use the bucket trucks. The expense of the truck and the slower labor really runs it up.

You won't have to worry about storms tearing up your electricial, either.

Dusty Britches":2dg51md0 said:
Put it underground and trench it yourself.

I volunteered that. No dice. They wouldn't let me. Don't know why either and the guy who came out couldn't give me a straight answer. Around 1000 foot of the run would be through a sandy loam. I could dig it in no time with the hoe. I could push the cedars on the hill with the Cat and then trench on through with the hoe for that part too.

Somehow I suspect there is something amiss with the guy's story who won't let me do it. I'd like to appeal it somehow but haven't gone there yet.

backhoeboogie":21zucfxy said:
Dusty Britches":21zucfxy said:
Put it underground and trench it yourself.

I volunteered that. No dice. They wouldn't let me. Don't know why either and the guy who came out couldn't give me a straight answer. Around 1000 foot of the run would be through a sandy loam. I could dig it in no time with the hoe. I could push the cedars on the hill with the Cat and then trench on through with the hoe for that part too.

Somehow I suspect there is something amiss with the guy's story who won't let me do it. I'd like to appeal it somehow but haven't gone there yet.

Buried wire has to be a larger gauge then aerial for the same service. When we were going to run it 400 feet there was some deal about only part of it could be underground the rest had to be aerial. Don;t recall the particulars. We went with a solar charger and flashlights.

Dusty Britches":34r7b7vb said:
Put it underground and trench it yourself. Call around to electricians - they very greatly in price. Some will even tell you what size wire to get and you can lay it, they'll inspect it and hook it up. The big cost is having to use the bucket trucks. The expense of the truck and the slower labor really runs it up.

You won't have to worry about storms tearing up your electricial, either.

That's what we did.

Just do it yourself. Haven't you ever put up electric fence before, it is the same on a higher scale. Use some standing trees as posts and it will be cheap. You will need some good sized insulators but just use old tires.

auctionboy":37so7sci said:
Just do it yourself. Haven't you ever put up electric fence before, it is the same on a higher scale. Use some standing trees as posts and it will be cheap. You will need some good sized insulators but just use old tires.

Sounds like you're the one that wired this place!

The power company installed ours below ground due to site constraints. Don't know what size wire they used, but they installed above ground pull boxes every 900 feet (total length was just under 1/2 mile). They charged me the difference between the above ground installation, which would have been free, and the below ground installation. Came out to about $5,000, or around $2.00 per foot more than above ground.

$10,000 !!!!

Three phase power for our irrigation pump. Total distance, above ground, 20 feet. It'll finally be paid for this coming spring.

auctionboy":3gkw4xa6 said:

I love it! LOL :lol2: :clap:

auctionboy":r4aiowea said:

It's that "higher scale" thing that poses the biggest problem with your suggestion. I can't imagine that any utility company would even consider actually turning on the electricity with this type of installation - I know that our's wouldn't. :roll:

Latest posts