Anyone also running meat goats?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy....only thing holding the wire up on most of the fences in this neck of the woods are the bushes growing thru them. That's what the goats would love to get in their mouth.

i think my smilax fence is the only one that a cow hasnt been thru before. *knock on wood*

Four goats eat what one cow would? If that is true and you sell the weaners for $75 you are profiting $300 per animal unit It would be a poor calf to sell for $300. Only after cows in a rotaion or if you have the poorest scrub land would goats make sense.

Those 4 goats will have twins and you sometimes get triplets. You can also run those 4 goats on land that will not support 1 cow and if you have to supplement 1 lb. per day should do it. Redo your math. :p

Here in the east, 3-4 goats or sheep can graze behind the cows with very minimal impact on the cattle. I'm thinking of getting some just for weed control. As steep as my place is, my leg cramps up riding the brake on the uphill side.

Absolutely.....cows are gobblers...goats are pickers. Sounds crazy but the wider and more stiff an animals upper lip the less they can choose what they eat (gobblers) whereas those with narrow flexible upper lips can pick and choose (Selective Eating) Goats, Sheep, Deer, as apposed to Cattle, Hogs, "Hippos". :lol: