Anyone also running meat goats?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I would see little Spanish goats from time to time, and hear of people bar-b q'ing them. But recently I've noticed that goats are bringing decent prices at the local stockyard - $75 to $100 for "slaughter" goats that are higher quality Boer type meat goats. I did some research and found that Boer and kiko breeds are nothing like the goats I had in mind. These things are pretty good size, and pack on the weight - 250 pound mature males is not uncommon.

So I'm now considering buying some kiko/boer crosses to start off a small goat herd. They're ruminents like cattle, and appear to be somewhat similar despite being less parasite resistent. Am I crazy for even considering these guys? The goat meat market is in a high demand low supply stage for the forseeable future. With kiko/boer cross females (kind of like a tigerstripe or black baldie moma cow - they're the best) selling for $150, seems cheap to get in to.

Anyway, I'm considering buying 8 to 10 females and a buck from a farm about 100 miles away and starting a new venture. Crazy???

kikokid.jpg

Not crazy at all. Management is similar but also different. If we had the fencing to do it we would be running goats behind the cows.

dun":2y4glvb7 said:
Not crazy at all. Management is similar but also different. If we had the fencing to do it we would be running goats behind the cows.

Weird you mention that Dun, I was actually thinking of the same thing. From the "research" I've done, goats prefer brush (read briars), weeds. etc, which would not compete with the cattle. I use rotational grazing with the cows - cows will only eat the grasses, so instead of clipping the weeds down so the grasses can compete after I move the cows from one paddock to another, it would be beneficial (and less expensive) to move goats in to do that job.

cypressfarms":3i6u0f5s said:
Caustic Burno":3i6u0f5s said:
Have thought about it watching the prices they bring. I could jusify buying them but our dog/varmit problems I am leary due to survival rate.

totothejenny.jpg

One more deadbeat!

Not at all crazy. It can be very profitable.

Your two biggest things, as has been mentioned, will be fencing and predators. The jenny should take care of predators, and a hot wire around a foot off the ground will keep them from pushing under fences. Patch up any holes too.

Keep in mind, you can produce good meat kids from a relatively cheap start. You should be able to buy first cross Boer does (either dairy, feral or kiko in them) for pennies. Spend a bit of money on a fullblood boer buck, the meaty kind not the showring winning kind, and your second cross kids will be impressive.

EDITED to add we are receiving between $3.50 and $4.00 a kilo dressed weight when sold direct to abbs. We sell goats privately from the paddock at $2.00 kg liveweight.

Good luck with it.

A few photos for you, from our local show. REAL goats that perform in the PADDOCK, and in the ring:

Champion Doe and Supreme Exhibit - 11 months old

Henty_show_photos_028b.jpg

Reserve Champion Doe - 2 years

Henty_show_photos_074.JPG

Reserve Champion Commercial Doe - 5 months

Henty_show_photos_084.JPG

Champion Commercial Doe - 5 months

Henty_show_photos_087.JPG

Champion Wether - heavyweight, 60kg, 12 months

Henty_show_photos_090.JPG

Reserve Champion Wether - middleweight, 45kg, 5 months

Henty_show_photos_093.JPG

Dont have the good buck photos uploaded, sorry.

Thanks a million for the photos Keren. However, I live in south Lousiana, and Boers have problems keeping up. That why I'm trying to start with a doe base of kiko/boer crosses. I'll probably buy a kiko buck as well. From what I've read and heard, Kikos are hard to beat for our climate. We get huge amounts of rainfall and it gets unbearably hot and humid in the summer.

Having said that, though, most people at the stockyard quickly recognize the look of a boer (mostly by color and the horns), and will bid them up. So I'll start with a 50/50 base of kiko/boer does and go from there. At least that's what I'm planning so far. Already put a down payment on some kids (all are Boki's) - I have until May to get the hogwire up and electric fence straight.

Kind of like black calves. Down here they automatically fetch a higher price. No use in fighting it. If the calf is perceived to have angus blood it will bring a higher price. The same seems to be true of boers. The trick (from what I can tell), is to keep the boer look while having enough kiko toughness to thrive in our climate.

We've got goats. Boer cosses. Started out as a 4H kind of thing a couple years ago. It's been interesting to say the least. We actually had a doeling born this morning which brings us up to 6 babies in the last 2.5 weeks. Good Luck and Have Fun! :)

I too have been considering goats for a while. the only thing holding me back is i dont like to work on fences. i like the boers.

You are spot on, cypress. Over here, the export market and some abbs pay the premium for the brown heads. Doesnt matter what else is in it, or what % boer, as long as it has a brown head they will pay premiums in the range of $4.00 vs $2.00 dressed weight, or $300 vs $1.50 per head for breeder does. They associate a white head with Saanen does, which is really hurting the industry because you can get some high % boers, really meaty animals, that express the white head. Similarly, I'm very impressed with the Savannah goats that has just been imported into Australia, but they have white heads, so they are not economically feasible at the moment.

You are exactly right, get as much kiko for the toughness, and enough boer for the red head, but I'd also say enough boer for better muscle expression -- most of the kikos I have seen (photos only, none here) have been pretty slab-sided.

Beefy, its not that much work really. Run a hot wire at the bottom, and if necessary half-way up the fence. Not that much work and pretty cheap. And immediately cull anything that gets out, even once, even if its the best animal you own. Because where one goat goats, the rest will follow . . .

I see your pictures. Beautiful goats.

My SIL has about 100 does. The meat goat market is strong due to the number of Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants.

Last year a friend in Ohio told me that he had dairy farmer friends who have quit the dairy business and are now raising meat goats because of the large Muslim population. They are making more with their goats than they did dairying.

cypressfarms":3k36jnv3 said:
dun":3k36jnv3 said:

Weird you mention that Dun, I was actually thinking of the same thing. From the "research" I've done, goats prefer brush (read briars), weeds. etc, which would not compete with the cattle. I use rotational grazing with the cows - cows will only eat the grasses, so instead of clipping the weeds down so the grasses can compete after I move the cows from one paddock to another, it would be beneficial (and less expensive) to move goats in to do that job.

Cypress....meat goat business is booming over here in Texas and many are sticking with the Boer crosses rather than the purebreds. As the hispanic and middle east population continues to increase the demand will increase. Some grocery stores are already stocking goat meat. Your biggest expense to get started will be fencing if you don't already have it. If a rat can get thru it a goat can too. :cry2: Most folks over here keep the big white Great Pyrenees dogs with their goats. A pit bull dont' stand a chance against one of them. Put the word out and you'll be amazed at how many you can sell right off the farm.

Lot's of parasite problems with the goat folks around here now. Some are de-worming every 30 days.

Dogs and Coyotes are getting more than their fair share too.

MikeC":cue8b02k said:
Lot's of parasite problems with the goat folks around here now. Some are de-worming every 30 days.

That's the point of having kiko blood in the mix. Kiko's are generally more parasite resistant than Boers, and thrive in our envinronment. They also are less labor intensive (they rarely need hoof trimming) The does that I'm working on getting now are Boki (50/50 Boer and Kiko's), and I'll use a boer or kiko buck on them. The main thing seems to be the coloring. I will have to adjust the herd to make sure that the offspring have the red/brown head of the boer.

Seems like the black of angus all over again; but you have to produce what the public wants. :nod:

TexasBred":2fgb453p said:
If a rat can get thru it a goat can too. :cry2:

I read a good quote the other day. "throw a bucket of water at a fence. If the water goes through, goats will too". Perhaps a little exagerated, but point taken!

Goats will have their problems just like cows. Kidding problems, urinary calculi, parasites and predators. You'll need to develop a good herd health program. Goats really are a bit more like deer than cattle when it comes to their eating habits etc. Eat grass as a last resort and love what most of us would call "low quality rough hay". Several companies make a good goat ration as well as a good goat mineral. And by all means keep a good dog in the pasture with them. Do it as a young pup and he grows up "as a goat". Won't let your spouse in the patch unless you say it's ok. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts