Run or Fight?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I got hit in my '71 Chevy Nova a few weeks ago. Husband and I had plans to restore it over the winter.
Other guys fault for the accident, now his insurance does not want to pay to repair my car.
Found a guy who would repair it for $850.00, does custom cars.
Already called a lawyer, don't know if he will call me back.

Has anybody else run into this? I don't want the insurance company to take my car. I know not to cash any check they send me and to return it certified mail.
Would I now have to take the other driver to small claims court if he refuses to pay for the repairs?
Don't think my insurance company wants to get involved.

Never had such a problem but I would think a single letter from your attorney should handle it. I'd get it repaired first though and have the bills in hand. If the other party will not pay, I would think your insurance company should cover it and then they can take it up with them.

Is it because it is an older car or because it is a classic car? I know that when my husband had the vette ('68), he had to get classic car insurance on it and you were limited to the amount of miles he could drive on it every year, like 500, or 850, something like that. But this was the other guy's fault and he's got to pay one way or another.

How much are they offering?

I would ask them for an explanation as to why. Did an adjuster come out and look at it? Tell them you want the cost of repairs and tell them you are prepared to call your State Board of Insurance. Thaqt will usually make them give you a satisfactory offer.

A lot depends on the condition of car before the accident. Did you have full coverage or just liability?

The insurance company won't pay more than the book value of the car. That's the problem. Had an old suburban ('89 I think) that got hit a couple years ago. Book value was only $1500 or so-repairs would be over $3000. It did not help that it was in real good shape and had a new motor, transmission, etc.. I wound up taking the $1500 from the insurance company, with the condition that I got to keep the car. It's still going strong.

You might run that by them.

Liability insurance only.
Just bought over $600.00 worth of new parts for it. The adjuster came out and got pics of it and the new parts and receipts.
Car was not in the best of shape because the paint is faded and there is some surface rust on it. That is why we are going to restore it.
The motor has $700 in it already. Just put new tires on it just a couple of months ago.

Don't know what the other guy had for insurance. I have the liablity.
Lawyer has not called me back. Got hung up on by his reseptionist on Tuesday. Was suppose to call me this morning, still nothing. Going to call a different lawyer.
Total repairs would be $960.00
Looks like I will have to call this guy and tell him about the costs and if his insurance does not go good then I will take him to small claims court. Insurance is giving me the run around.

I luv -

If you have insurance and the other guy has insurance, get tough with your insurance company. You pay hard earned money for them to cover you and it is their obligation to represent you. Do not let them give you the run around.

If he hasn't got insurance then you will gain little by taking him to court. He probably does'nt have any money anyway and all you will get from him is the satisfaction that he will owe you money that you will never get.

Nonetheless, good luck.

Folks,

Hold on here, just because the car is a 71 Chevy Nova, dosen't mean it's not worth much.

I went to NADA.com and priced the 71 Nova w/6 cylinder motor. The prices ranged from a low retail of almost $4k to a high retail of over $13k. Depending on the condition it could be more or less.

Promote the idea that it's a 1971 Chevy Nova and a classic. The value of the car will be more because it's close to being a collector's car.

I would go to NADA, Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book (KBB) and be prepared to show what these website think your car is worth.

Hang tough with the other guys insurance and get a lawyer if you need to. Usually paying the lawyer a couple of hundred bucks to write a letter will pay off in the long run.

Trouble is, You having liability insurance only, and being it's the other drivers fault, leaves your insurance company out of it.
If the other driver does not have insurance, it leaves you in a tough spot.
Was there a police report filed?
If the other guy has insurance, have your receipts of the expenses that you have in the car, or have it appraised. Should be a easy claim if there's a police record.
Other wise it's a small claim court, good luck with it.

If you get a lawyer be prepared for a long drawn out, expensive battle. You can add any expense of a lawyer to what you are going to loose up front. Insurance companies have lawerys on the pay roll. They deal with this every day, and know exactly how to shaft you.
Take your loss and go on with life. Next time have your car insured for this. There are companies that specialize in coverage on clasic cars.

Is the book value less than the $850 it will take to fix it? Or am I reading this wrong. I know they are not going to pay more than the book unless you have special insurance.

Sometimes it is better just to pay for it yourself, and not even file a claim, especially if the repairs are under $1,000, it will only raise your rates, whether the accident was the other guys fault or not.

Something to think about.

GMN

Some good advice here. I agree, since you have liability only, your insurance company is out of the picture. You will only get what blue book is on the car, at this point it does not sound like a 4K classic, it sounds like a $850 Nova (not that it can't be a classic after rebuild). Small Claims will do nothing for you, even if you get the judgment against the other party. That's is all you get the right to some money from the other party that you probably will never collect, besides he has insurance and did everthing right, it's his insurance company you have a problem with. You might not get the judgment and end up getting sued yourself.

Best bet is to try to settle for $850 or a little more plus the car and put on the new parts.

Alan

I don't want to step on toes here but I believe most of you are hung up on the issue thst it ia a 71 Nova. Regardless of that fact it is a 71 Nova which does have some value to a collector, therefore is worth more and should be covered by the other driver's liability insurance if he has any.

Here is a quote I just created for a 1971 Chevy Nova 6 cylinder using the NADA Car Values web site -

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-28-0-5000-502-504-50005&l=1&w=22&p=0&f=5003

1971 Chevrolet Nova 2 Door Coupe

October 27, 2007

PRICING

Original MSRP: $2,471

Low Retail
Base Price $4,675 -15% (6 cyl Eng) = TOTAL PRICE $3,974

Average Retail Value
Base Price $8,500 -15% (6 cyl Eng) = TOTAL PRICE $7,225

High Retail
Base Price $16,400 -15% (6 cyl Eng) = TOTAL PRICE $13,940

Nowland Farms":2gubstz2 said:
I don't want to step on toes here but I believe most of you are hung up on the issue thst it ia a 71 Nova. Regardless of that fact it is a 71 Nova which does have some value to a collector, therefore is worth more and should be covered by the other driver's liability insurance if he has any.

Here is a quote I just created for a 1971 Chevy Nova 6 cylinder using the NADA Car Values web site -

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-28-0-5000-502-504-50005&l=1&w=22&p=0&f=5003

1971 Chevrolet Nova 2 Door Coupe

October 27, 2007

PRICING

Original MSRP: $2,471

Low Retail
Base Price $4,675 -15% (6 cyl Eng) = TOTAL PRICE $3,974

Average Retail Value
Base Price $8,500 -15% (6 cyl Eng) = TOTAL PRICE $7,225

High Retail
Base Price $16,400 -15% (6 cyl Eng) = TOTAL PRICE $13,940

True but they are only going to cover what it is worth to fix, or its current value. If the other guy is at fault, and has insurance he is responsible-period. If he doesn't have insurance, then I'd say you can take him to small claims court, and it shouldn't cost very much, and at least get a judgement put against him, but that doesn't mean you will ever see any money to fix the car.

GMN

I heard that Dun! :lol:

Got a letter from the insurance company. They are going to pay to repair my car.
I'm glad. Got a guy fixing it right now. Talked to him yesterday and he had gotten the biggest dent about half way out and when he gets it pulled all the way out he is going to work on the wheel well.
Thanks for all of the great advise.