Ruhbarb going to sed

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
The ruhbarb that we left covered over the winter has sprouted and is putting out seed heads. Is this something to worry about or do I need to take some form of action with the plants.
Will the seeding hurt annything...never had the stuff before.
Susie wanted to grow ruhbarb for her pies....not fond of it personally....just can't say no to that woman.
Dave Mc

Pinch it off, it just takes energy away from the stalk production. You can buy rhubarb seed, but it is generally recommended that you buy or separate root stock for new plants. From seed, you won't get any significant stem production until the third or fourth year. The seed will also not necessarily be true to the variety. Have Susie check out the Rhubarb Compendium: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ More stuff there than anyone should or would ever want to know about rhubarb. Rhubarb pie (No strawberries!) is one of my favorites. A cup of finely chopped rhubarb, nuked and sprinkled with Splenda, is almost like eating fresh made jam. And as a diabetic, it is a freebie! Makes a nice late night snack. Taking the time to finely chop rhubarb eliminates most 'nasty stringy, slimy' comments. Sorry for the ramble, but I love that stuff!

Latest posts