RUBBER TUBE AND CONTACT CEMENT

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47

Reaction score
i have a black rubber 110 gal water tub inside a corral. it developed a tear from the rim down the side about 10 inches long. i'm about to fix it with a piece of rubber tube and some contact cement but not until i hear from any of you all that have patched them before. anybody ever patched one before? how did you do it?

tmax

Is the rim tore too. If it is, trying to get it to stay fixed is probably an exercise in futility

novatech":3bp2edw8 said:
Auto body shops have thermal welders that may be able to repair. I would ask the price first.

A fiberglass kit from Autozone might work. But I am with Dun on this one sounds like money will end up being spent on a new one anyway.

How old is it?

I agree with getting a new one. One they start breaking down, they start deteriorating quickly.

I have a rubbermaid that has a crack like that. I've used exterior construction adhesive on it and JB weld. The JB weld holds up the best. I've covered the crack with aluminium and used the adheisive and JB weld. JB weld held up for about a year, adhesive for about 6 months

thanx for the advice guys, the rim is indeed cracked. sounds like all the solutions have a limited life and i'll probably get a new one, but for the hell of it i may try the rubber and contact cement scheme and if it works i'll pass it along. i think i called the tuff stuff company and they didn't have anything to offer for advice. seems like they could make a buck on repair kits...or since they don't offer one, maybe that's saying something itself.

Harbour freight and northern tool sell a plastic welding kit for cheap. Don't know how well it would work in this case but they work pretty well on rigid plastics. They're cheap enough to try

go to the parts store and get a fiberglass repair kit like caustic mentioned. It will be good as new. Just rough it up a bit with a grinder before putting the resin on.

got the fiberglass kit as per b&m and CB. looks good so far but as dun mentioned; the rim is the weak spot. if it holds up for a couple more years i'll be real happy. thanx for all the advice...

I was going to make a comment about how I wish they still made the concrete troughs because they seem to last forever. Well it dawned on me that some years ago I bought a plastic one from TSC. One of the 10 foot blue ones they still sell. I bought it as a pool for the kids when they were little. Then turned it into a fish pond. Finally it went to the farm as a water trough. Well my kids have kids now so I guess that tub has to be at least 25 yrs. now. I would say I got my moneys worth.

Steel plate it with a neo-polyurethane caulk between the plate and trough. (stainless if you really want to do it up)

tsmaxx47":2mjey800 said:
got the fiberglass kit as per b&m and CB. looks good so far but as dun mentioned; the rim is the weak spot. if it holds up for a couple more years i'll be real happy. thanx for all the advice...
For the cracked rim part, if you can put something all the way around the tank right at the top that will help with the flexing. The tank in the bulkl pen that we only use a couile of months a year has a broken rim. I took a rathet strapand tightened at tight as it would go and used heavy duty exterior construction adhesive and glued the strap to the tank so that it couldn't slip down. 2 years it's been there and still working

I fixed two with long cracks that went thru the rim. I bent a piece of PVC pipe under the rim then did the fiberglass patch(I used a few small screws to hold it in place). One I did on the inside the other on the outside. I was happier with the inside patch. On both of them I fiberglassed over the PVC pipe to hold it in place.

Both tanks have been patched for at least 4 years.

If it is a Rubbermaid brand tub, then it has a lifetime guarantee. When mine sprung a leak, I just took it back to Tractor Supply and they gave me a new one (I had the receipt in my tax records). I got no argument from anyone at TSC.

Pablo":2wphyzmt said:
If it is a Rubbermaid brand tub, then it has a lifetime guarantee. When mine sprung a leak, I just took it back to Tractor Supply and they gave me a new one (I had the receipt in my tax records). I got no argument from anyone at TSC.
How long ago. I did that 3 years ago but the newer ones (black instead of grey) everyone claims doesn;t have the lifetime gaurantee. And none of the 4-5 dealers around here will swap out the grey ones anymore.

Latest posts