Rubber overboots

Help Support CattleToday:

Mark Alley

Reaction score
I think I need a pair of rubber overboots. I don't know anybody who wears them. I think they would be handy when I need to do a quick check of the cows and don't have time to change boots and clothes. I looked at the local TSC store and they had some that looked like they had been on the shelf for 10 years and I thought they were over priced at $60+. How long will they last without cracking? The regular rubber boots from Walmart barely last one winter. The ones at TSC did slip on and off easily and I was tempted to pay the $60, but I would be mad if they did not last past one year. Any recommendations for a brand name/vendor? Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of green rubber knee boots by Northland, I think, and a yellow pair I got out of QC Supply but don't know the brandname. I've had the green pair for years and used them to pour concrete for years as well as farm chores. They've held up great!

When not wearing them keep them out of direct sunlight and away from direct heat sources. Husband does that and his last until he is forced to throw them away.
When they get a hole and start leaking you can patch them with a tire tube patch kit. That last patched pair lasted 6 or more years until they literally split down the tongue area. Was fine til the hubby stepped into a mud hole that almost reached the top of the boot. He got a new pair and has had them for I think 3 or 4 years now.

I'm on my second pair of Muck boots, they are excellent. The first pair lasted about three years before they were leaking so bad that I had to get another pair. Actually , I still have the first pair and they are in good shape except for the leaking. As someone just posted on here that barbed wire is their worst enemy, that's the truth. These Muck boots are heavy rubber, not the thin cheap ones like you can get at Wal-Mart and they last a month. They are thick, heavy rubber with the upper portion that covers the legs being made out of the same material as diving suits. They keep you very warm and dry as long as you don't get them into barbed wire. These boots were about $80 at a Tack shop. Our local Co-Op has them and I think I've seen them at TSC. That seems pricey but they last so much longer than the cheap thin ones.

Mark Alley":28jh220c said:
I think I need a pair of rubber overboots. I don't know anybody who wears them. I think they would be handy when I need to do a quick check of the cows and don't have time to change boots and clothes. I looked at the local TSC store and they had some that looked like they had been on the shelf for 10 years and I thought they were over priced at $60+. How long will they last without cracking? The regular rubber boots from Walmart barely last one winter. The ones at TSC did slip on and off easily and I was tempted to pay the $60, but I would be mad if they did not last past one year. Any recommendations for a brand name/vendor? Thanks in advance.

Yes, they are very handy for a check of the critters - especially the slip on type, provided your corrals don't get really mucky. I've got a pair that go on over work boots that are 3 years old, and Dad has a couple of different pairs - one that slip on, and two that buckle - that are at least 6 years old. How long they last depends on how you treat them. Dad (actually, Mom does it) always gives his a thorough cleaning every spring before putting them away, and they are kept out of direct sunlight, as well as away from direct heat. I think mine are Servus, but I don't know the brand names of Dad's. Mine were considerably cheaper than $60.00 - if memory serves, they were in the $25.00 - 30.00 range. I suspect that Dad's were cheaper, as well, but I don't know that for a fact.