Short rubber boots or Shoes

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
I have not had any luck with muck brand. Any suggestions ? I wear them doing yard work and feeding my cows, wear out in less than a year.coachg

coachg":178kyli2 said:
I have not had any luck with muck brand. Any suggestions ? I wear them doing yard work and feeding my cows, wear out in less than a year.coachg

You must be rough on them. I have two pair one that comes up to my knees and one pair about 12" tall or so and have had both pairs for a couple years or more.

coachg":xgw2t5li said:
I wear through the soles on my original Muck boots but it takes a couple of years. My wife really likes her Bogs so I'm going to try a pair of them.

I wear Servus brand boots I get at rural king. They are made in America and I usually get a year out of them.$20-$40 depending on style. The $40 pair is much more comfortable.

kenny thomas":1a2m08pf said:
LaCrosse 12" with air grip soles
I wear their Burly model. 2 years a pair. I wear them non stop from Oct through May.

coachg":623aoz0u said:

XTRATUFF.....The red boots....comfortable enough to wear all day, arch support, snug around the ankle and flexible.

TexasBred":1i5zp1eq said:
coachg":1i5zp1eq said:

XTRATUFF.....The red boots....comfortable enough to wear all day, arch support, snug around the ankle and flexible.

X2

kentuckyguy":3pc09hzk said:
I wear Servus brand boots I get at rural king. They are made in America and I usually get a year out of them.$20-$40 depending on style. The $40 pair is much more comfortable.
I haven't found a $100 rubber boot, that could last any longer than a $20 servus.
My one pair of mucks lasted 2 weeks before they started leaking.

Doesn't happen often enough but it did get rubber boot muddy last month. Ive had em so long I don't remember where I got them or the brand. Footwear is usually an old pair of Skethers walking shoes. If it's sticky enough after a rain I have a pair of Tony Lama work boots I use fo a day or two.

I does help To be flexible enough that when it gets nasty enough to need rubber boots one can choose to stay in the house or at the least out of the mud.

None hold up to being drug around Barbwire. Just like extension cords, air hose and welding leads.
20.00 from tsc and their consider disposable.
I do take my pocket knife sometimes to a old pair and cut the tops off real low. And the heel even lower. Kept by the back door makes great step in house shoes you can actually wear outside.

sim.-ang.king":36aq15a0 said:
kentuckyguy":36aq15a0 said:
I haven't found a $100 rubber boot, that could last any longer than a $20 servus.
My one pair of mucks lasted 2 weeks before they started leaking.

I agree. I've never owned a pair of $100 rubber boots, because I would expect a pair that expensive to last a decade and do magic tricks, but I'm sure I'd be disappointed. I'll stay with the $20 pair.

Have two pair of LL Bean "duck boots" which are over 40 years old. When I bought them Bean had a lifetime warranty but that was discontinued in February of 2018. I only wear these boots when its wet but I've worn them plenty and feel I got more than my money out of them. The pair I wear the most sprung a leak last year but rather than be bothered sending them back for repair I put some Shoe Goo on them and they were good to go. I probably should send this pair back and have them resoled since the bottoms are getting awfully thin even if it might cost something now. Or maybe after 40 years I need to buy a new pair.

That may be true at first, that leather soles are more slippery. After the leather sole is roughed up by the ground, it becomes less noticeable.
Leather can soak up oils that make it slippery.
Rubber compacts when weight is places on it. It forces the rubber to conform to the ground and more surface area equals more friction.

For shoes, the men wear Keens around here cuz they are waterproof and rugged. It's nice going into a gravity field and not getting your feet wet. I just go barefoot.

Bogs are preferred for normal working conditions in a long boot during winter/rain. I have Mucks. I prefer my cowboy boots. I can throw my ice cleats on them if it's slick out.

I have two pairs of rubber boots. Xtra tough 16 inch top for when it is muddy. And hip boots for irrigation. Flood irrigation you end up standing in the ditch setting the tarp. The water is very often over knee deep. In mid summer everyone changes tarps early in the morning because on a hot day it is nice to get out of them rubber boots before it warms up.

Latest posts