Rubber floor spacing question for trailer.

Help Support CattleToday:

4x4dually

Reaction score
As some know (from another thread) I'm redoing a 24' gooseneck trailer. I have new rubber, cleated floor from http://www.shelbytrailer.com/

The trailer will typical haul 16 head of weaned calves once a year but will be used for show pigs for the kids starting next year until they get done showing. My question is, what spacing would you recommend for the rubber flooring? It will be ran long-ways, front-to-back instead of side-to-side like the website above shows in the picture. For cattle, I'd probably use 1/2 spacing so it would clean out easier....well, at least as easy as the cleated floor will wash out (gonna be rough either way.) However, I'd rather it not be too wide so the wood chips the pigs will be hauled on won't just fall through the floor during the entire trip. The boards will work out perfectly side-to-side in the trailer width wise at 3/8 inch spacing. Does anyone who has hauled pigs much know if that will hold the chips in? I'm really pig ignorant and still learning about cattle as well.

Has anyone had foot problems with pigs on cleated floors if they are bedded with wood chips? Should I put flat rubber mats on top of the floor as well?

I realize this is a cattle forum, but any insight or recommendations would be appreciated.

Wow. It just dawned on me. I could rip some boards with a dado head into "tee"s. Then just lay the rib in the grooves. When done, pull the boards and wash it out.

Sound like a good idea to anyone?

Latest posts