Round Up ?

Help Support CattleToday:

:lol2: pdf, I'm not for hire at that rate. That's my cost to do mine. Put a quart ( cost $2.50) in 20 gallons of water in the four wheeler sprayer and you can go a long, long, long ways.

ga.prime":23kg86t1 said:
:lol2: pdf, I'm not for hire at that rate. That's my cost to do mine. Put a quart ( cost $2.50) in 20 gallons of water in the four wheeler sprayer and you can go a long, long, long ways.

At least I am relieved that you see that the chemical cost is not the only cost of the spraying.
as I get older my time is getting more and more precious to me as well.

ergo I like to have a good grass cover under the fence and keep the wire about thirty inches high and the cows keep the fence line clean. Naturaly this is not the prefered method for boundary fences.

the biggest problem in boundary fences is cedar and the roundup is not effective on them. We use crossbow.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Sounds like an excellent technique you have there, pdf. The only thing I have that doesn't respond in the way I'd like to the glyphosate are morning glories- the kind with the tiny flower clusters. I have to hit them up with some 2-4-D + dicamba (weedmaster) or tryplicor on an as needed spot spray basis.

plumber_greg":3hkvzlki said:
Just get about a 10 joule charger and put the cost of spraying every year towards the cost of the charger. It'll burn the weeds off the fence on it's own. gs

Greg you hit the nail on the head. I only have a wimpy 6 joule with about 4 miles of wire. Any where you see plants that touch it they are burned and it stays plenty hot.

A powerful charger is the permanent solution, besides burning weeds/grass, it holds cattle better. As you said, the cost of spraying will pay for the charger in a very few years. It's a lot easier to change out a charger than spraying a couple of times per year.

TSC has a 6 joule 100 miler for a little under $200.

Just my 2 cents worth.

My charger is an old Gallagher that I bought in 1986. Paid 285 dollars for it back then.
It has been repaired twice for lighting strikes coming in on the power side.
I don't know what the Joule rating is as they did not market by that back in the dark ages.
But it is hot and it burns back Poke berries and keeps the bulls in.
a good charger is money well spent.

make the knees buckle and the eyes water. that is my philosophy.

here lately I want it hot to assist in keeping the bears off my place. Wildlife guys say it will help.
for some reason I have this fear of walking into the barn or stable and walking into a bear eating livestock feed. I am now too old to want to wrestle one.

Tractor Supply has the generic glyphosphate. I spray all my fence lines with generic mixed half rate and the full rate of 2 4 D. You can look at the label and there is a part they call chemical mowing, won't totally kill the grass but burns it down.

Can you spray under the fence row with livestock already in the pasture or is that too risky?

I have about 4 miles of hi-tensile electric fence that I weed whip 4 times a year. I started out with the Roundup and found the same thing as the other guys, I ended up with a lot of weeds that was worse than the grass. I have let the grass come back and now I bush hog right up next to the fence in the spring then run the ring mower even closer then weed whip. Sounds like a lot of work but I don't let it get away from me so I can knock it out pretty quick. About once a month I run the riding mower then when it cools down in the evening I grab a cooler with a few beers and get it done. The neighbors don't like it cause it looks too good!

PDF, If you have a fear of walking into a bear in your barn, there's a simple solution for that. Send in your wife first. But, the problem with that is, you might be better off wrestling the bear.

Latest posts