Round Pen Panels

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
Is there a certain direction that round pen panels should be setup? i.e. vertical bars are the outside or vertical bars on the inside?

MudHog":16ocwidj said:
Is there a certain direction that round pen panels should be setup? i.e. vertical bars are the outside or vertical bars on the inside?

Depends on the use really, if cattle are going to be following the radius and dragging their sides along them, the smoother the better. If anything is welded on the inside make sure its ground smooth, so no slag or burrs catch them.

kenny thomas":3pfqjz99 said:
For me everything should bepushing against the vertical. Wire, wire pannels, pipe, gates, whatever it may be.

I agree.
Also, if you're using it for riding, your knees will appreciate them being on the outside as well.

Thanks to both. Yes these will be used for cattle. I was thinking the same thing, keep the verticals on the outside for smoothness on the inside.

I recently bought some panels in the picture to make a pen and am now planning to use these panels to make my corral. I plan to set posts in the ground and then pin the panels to the posts. I could do the same with some t-posts, but I feel better setting some pipe in the ground and I already have over 3000ft of used 3" XH pipe that was given to me. I was originally planning to build my whole corral out of the 3" pipe, but I started counting the saddles I'd need to cut and nearly passed out when I surpassed the 200 mark.

0F2CE731-3205-4982-A063-DD9E2C639C5C_zps0rkunizy.jpg

Supa Dexta":4jkzg4lu said:
I was also told cattle (and all animals, including us) prefer to naturally circle to the left. My tub goes left and race goes right and its working fine though.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=100755

Awesome. That is exactly how I have my little corral setup. Back being square with the chute and front being rounded. Flow will be counter clockwise into the opening where the chute us with one panels being the gate into and to close the chute. I'll post a layout I have drawn up when I get to my office tomorrow. Being a Draftsman by trade, I tend to draw nearly every project I build. :mrgreen:

I'm confused. My vertical pieces go right thru the center of the horizontal runs--I thought they were all made that way.

ppt_1.jpg

No sir. Not all panels are built like the Priefert panels and I've seen very few like Priefert myself. Mine have the two vertical pipes as one piece and welded to the outside of each horizontal pipe.

These are the panels I borrowed last year and they were built similar to the ones I have now.

CC2974C1-93D7-4360-9939-92072CA27281_zpsex25c4pq.jpg

A lot faster to manufacture them with one run of vertical on the outside, rather then cut small pieces and weld them in one by one.. That said the ones I buy are built piece by piece. The ones I made above I took to the time to put them in the tub piece by piece, but on the corner I just welded flatbar to the outside.

Supa Dexta":2m9x5wyn said:
A lot faster to manufacture them with one run of vertical on the outside, rather then cut small pieces and weld them in one by one.. That said the ones I buy are built piece by piece. The ones I made above I took to the time to put them in the tub piece by piece, but on the corner I just welded flatbar to the outside.

Preiferts aren't cut into small pieces and welded in. The horizontal pieces are bored and the vertical pieces then inserted and welded in as long joints same height as the panel--or at least that's the Preifert websites say.