Round bales sticking onto hey spear

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't have a spear but I do use forks. I find that rusty or dirty/ muddy forks tend to cause problems going in or coming out. After moving a few bales and a little "polishing" action, this tends to get better.

Second, since my trailor deck is wood, I nailed a 2x6 at the edge. This remedies the slick deck.

it is made about like my westendorf, have never had a problem unless hay was damp, then it is hard to stick in but usually comes out alright. i have seen some break off. your main spear appears to be a little bigger in diameter than mine, which could make it harder to get in & out. if your new spear is smaller around it should definitely help. poor quality steel will bend not break . one guy bought a spear off of the internet & it bent right down first bale he picked up. i have a vermeer also & have loaded bales from a lot of other kinds of balers

jerry27150":3a8p757l said:
it is made about like my westendorf, have never had a problem unless hay was damp, then it is hard to stick in but usually comes out alright. i have seen some break off. your main spear appears to be a little bigger in diameter than mine, which could make it harder to get in & out. if your new spear is smaller around it should definitely help. poor quality steel will bend not break . one guy bought a spear off of the internet & it bent right down first bale he picked up. i have a vermeer also & have loaded bales from a lot of other kinds of balers

Jerry, steel can be of poor quality for a variety of reasons. May be poor steel from the get-go or made poor by the processing of the part. Soft steel will bend. More than likely the mfgr. cut corners by buying low-carbon steel and did not choose to add carbon in his processing.

Latest posts