Round bale unroller

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas of a homebrew unroller for round bales. I'm thinking of one I can hook to my 3 point or tractor hitch to drag the bale as it unwinds.

Do y'all have any suggestions?

I am thinking of the same thing. I have a friend who is a JD mechanic who made one, I really need to go take a picture of his. If I do, of if you come up with any information please respond. We are not making much hay in Arkansas, so Ican't afford to waste any! RCP

Yeah, at $70-$90 a round, I'd hate to waste any of it.

I'm thinking of a scissor design that is pulled by the 3 point. The harder the pull, the tighter the scissors get it. Like a giant old style ice block carrier or now a days they use the same design called a log puller.

Now I'm thinking of a giant log puller that hooks onto the trailer hitch.

Thanks, TxBobcat, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money if I can make something out the the scraps around the barn. If I can't come up with something, I may get that.

Dusty,

My neighbor had a homemade rig that worked good. It was a wheel and tire(13inch I think) with just a piece of pipe through the hole in the wheel for an "axle" about 16" long. This "axle was just mounted to a steel frame which was welded to a piece of four inch pipe about 36" long. The 36" piece of pipe went over the bale spear. He then just drove the tractor forward and the wheel would pushwhile rolling and not riding up on the bale and unroll the hay. It worked pretty good. I went over there to try to get you a photo of it but he retired a few years ago and hauled it off with some scrap. Have a good day.
Devin

I dont have a picture, but I made a bale roller out of a square peice of pipe (about 5 feet long) and attached a car wheel to it. then put on an old tire.. and mounted the whole thing to the front of my Massey 135 tractor. The wheel and tire stick out past my front wheels.. so they dont rub when I have to turn. Just dont go to fast when pushing the bales.. or an overturn can occur. (trust me, I know)

Latest posts